Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Re: [censored] VIETCONG

you can get him to tilt hard by calling him charlie a couple times....
Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 PM

May!,

The answer to your question is variance. I haven't really played with your dad very much but i've seen enough HH's of his play to know he's full of leaks. Because tournament poker is normally so short stacked there is considerably less room to out play opponents or be creative compared to cash games.

That means your skill edge over your opponents is smaller since there are less ways to manipulate them. In the vast majority of tournament situations there is an 'optimal play' and the players who make the most of them with the least mistakes get the money in the end. Due to tournaments structure the potential for variance is enormous.

Therefore the idea that your dad simply found a new and dominating way to play tournaments holds little merit in a forum where guys sit around arguing over the slightest variations in optimal play.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First time here. I was a reader for a long time, now I "dare" to write.

How could it be that one guy you´re saying is so bad could have that statistics?? He must has "something". Maybe he´s not playing bad, he´s just playing different from everybody and thats why he wins...

This is his daughter writing... I really don´t know how is he running so damn good, he´s not a "super user" or something like that (LOL he laughed so much when I told him that everybody is saying that...), I was the first one saying him that he wasn´t playing right... Until he won the sunday. And then the warm up. And then supertuesday (twice), about 7 100rb... and counting... Now... well, I just have to shut up. He wakes me up almost every morning by phone telling me he just won a tourney.

I´m a poker player, just like him, and I don´t believe in luck, I believe in skill. Maybe he´s on fire (if that´s the answer, it´s taking so long isn´t it?) or maybe he just know how to play tourneys, altough we aren´t able to understand how he plays... I´m not pretending to annoy anyone with my message, I´m just giving my point of view. Cheers everyone and excuse me for my bad english...

[/ QUOTE ]

v good aaron been post that I agree with 100% in response:

The next time you read a PocketFives article on someone's achievements or on a list/ranking system or even a personal anecdote the article will almost certainly be promoting the idea that tournament poker is essentially a game of skill and that the esteemed members of this community work hard and excel at it. You probably won't read an article about how many of the ranked players are near broke or staked or about how even the big winners go through huge downswings because tournament poker is actually mostly luck and it takes thousands of tournaments at any given buy-in to know what your actual edge is.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:59 PM

Jeff,

I'm supposed to write an article for p5's since my last one got rejected. I think you just helped me figure out what i want to write about.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:15 PM

Ok guys, you´ve explained it perfectly. Bond, I´m sorry if my "suggestion" annoyed you, you´re completely right, It was not my intention.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:29 PM

No no, you haven't annoyed me at all, i was just trying to give a detailed explanation of what i think the causation is.

I'd say tell your dad to seek out the advice of established players he respects and ask them what kind of leaks they think he has.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:23 PM

at this point I think I've just given up hating on him and hope he keeps winning and using the money to take shots at 25/50. No I'm still going to hate on him.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:24 PM

Didn't vietcongs son make the final table of EPT Barca?

It's in their blood, I swear.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:40 PM

funny, i posted this exact same thing earlier in this forum, and in p5s. I think that hes on to something that we are not
Old 10-19-2007, 01:11 AM

I just looked at this guy's results and I am astonished. There's no way he's a regular donk who is running hot, because it's too hot.

Can somebody post some hh of his leaks? I think there's a possibility he's doing something right that none of us are.