Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 04:15 PM

Default NL2: AK line

Third hand at this table. The min-raise was a mistake, I was clicking the slider and slipped off. The villain was complaining about suckouts in the hands before I joined the table. I figured he was on tilt, but had no other reads on him.

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 8 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

MP1: $2.80
MP2: $1.36
CO: $0.95
BTN: $2.85
SB: $5.29
BB: $1.01
UTG: $1.81
Hero (UTG+1): $1.98

Pre-Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG+1)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $0.04</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.08</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls $0.08, 3 folds, <font color="red">BB raises to $0.28</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls $0.20, MP2 calls $0.20

Flop: ($0.89) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $0.73 and is All-In</font>, Hero ????
Old 10-18-2007, 04:33 PM

Default Re: NL2: AK line

Shove and maybe MP2 will come along for the ride. YOu can't fold this for less than a pot sized bet.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:38 PM

I think i'd probably raise to around 16c. I think if you're going to 3bet preflop you should raise it 3-4 times the original bet, that way you've made a good solid bet and if anybody 4bets you know they're serious. Also I think a that ratio allows the initial raiser to call, at least that's my experiance at microstakes. I think it's also enough to isolate the original raiser.

This (in my opinion) is all good because, it narrows down the range of anybody who calls/raises. It gives you the initiative in a big way (CBets are more successful if you miss). It hopefully gets you heads up with the original raiser, which makes post flop play easier.

As played I think you shouldn't fold here, you've got TPTK and BB can't bet on later streets. The question is do you flat call to encourage MP2 to come along for the ride or do you raise to push him out and keep the dead money?

He flat called every bet preflop. Admittedly I struggle somewhat with handreading at very low stakes (people make funny moves, often not in their own interest). Anyway, flat calls like that would tend to indicate to me that he's got a small pair in the hole or maybe a drawing sort of hand like suited connectors.

If he's got a small pair then you want to keep him in the pot because you're a big favorite and you want him to put more money in. If he's got a drawing hand, like two diamonds, then i'd be happy to tax him for drawing so I'd prefer to raise. If he's got JT then that sucks, but that's just the way it goes. If he has got it then I expect he'll let you know by making some big bets.

Knowing the way I play I'd probably push all in and hope to fold out MP2, being happy with the pot that is already there, but somebody better than me will have to tell us if that's correct.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:43 PM

I thought for a few seconds about shoving, but I ended up just calling and realized immediately after that I definitely should have shoved. MP2 folded though, so I guess he wasn't drawing.

Part of it is that AK is my biggest losing hand because I play it so terribly. So AK tilts me, lol. I just need to go with what I know is right.

Thanks for the advice.

Flop: ($0.89) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $0.73 and is All-In</font>, Hero calls $0.73, MP2 folds

Turn: ($2.35) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($2.35) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $2.35 Pot ($0.10 Rake)
BB showed A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (two pair, Aces and Nines) and WON $2.25 (+$1.24 NET)
Hero mucked A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and LOST (-$1.01 NET)
Old 10-18-2007, 04:49 PM

I agree with waffles his post is gold. My strategy with AK is always 3 bet especially position and always cbet the flop, slowing down when called unless I put them on a draw....Im always goin broke vs AA if my K hits sorry it happened to you.