Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Updated Cliff Notes On Absolute Poker Scandal (18th October)

I was scanning through the wayback machine:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...olutepoker.com
I don't have time to comb through this, but it appears that initially Absolute was listed as a company based in Costa Rica. Around 2004 that info was removed in favor of generic language about abiding by laws where it operates as well as a badge of being regulated by "Six Nations Gaming Regulatory Commission" or something similar. It was not until some time in the summer of 2007 that a mention of Tokwiro appeared on the site (incidentally, roughly the time 2p2 user scotttom stopped shilling). Prior to that it simply stated that they were licensed and regulated in Canada.

It may have been sold to and/or hidden under the umbrella of Tokwiro this year. Once divested fully, Scott Tom may have felt free to use his dormant superuser. (SPECULATION!)
Old 10-18-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2) Something else and we get really pissed and don't let this issue rest until AP shuts down or does #1.

I don't care at all who's doing the auditing because we already know what happened and what the right solution is. Once they admit that cheating has taken place in multiple instances with multiple accounts, it won't hurt their reputation any more to look around and find every instance of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

But once the audit is done, if it finds nothing, then they at least have something to point to to say "Look, we took that stuff seriously and found nothing. Shut up already." I'd imagine in that case you're out of luck because you don't have any levers to use at that point, other than not playing there.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM

When this reaches CNN and BBC news be sure to make a new thread so I don't miss it. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:06 PM

News stories are somewhat shortlived. Wouldn't this be a good story along the lines of the MIT card counters in Vegas and all the other shows of it's ilk on the Discovery Channel or the Travel channel, whichever usually has these on? These keep getting repeated over and over. More people see them.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When this reaches CNN and BBC news be sure to make a new thread so I don't miss it. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Also Continue to post links as this story hits more news outlets.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:16 PM

Don't know if this has already been asked but does anybody have connections to trace phone records for Scott Tom and AJ Green and see if they were on the phone together during the time of the tournament?
Old 10-18-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
News stories are somewhat shortlived. Wouldn't this be a good story along the lines of the MIT card counters in Vegas and all the other shows of it's ilk on the Discovery Channel or the Travel channel, whichever usually has these on? These keep getting repeated over and over. More people see them.

[/ QUOTE ]
They also delve into it to a greater extent, which would be better for online poker in the long run. More time to show there are good reasons for regulation of US based rooms.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't know if this has already been asked but does anybody have connections to trace phone records for Scott Tom and AJ Green and see if they were on the phone together during the time of the tournament?

[/ QUOTE ]

In Costa Rica? gl with that
Old 10-18-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

b) the other gaming companies (over 100?) using Kahawake's servers - with a question attached: Could this happen at your site?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very misleading. MIT is just a data center. Their customers likely own the majority of the servers there. The fact that MIT exists is a good thing for US poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to make this as clear as I can.
Absolute Poker by their own statements- as well as Ultimate bet are owned by Tokwiro Enterprises.
Tokwiro Enterprises is founded/owned/controlled in some way by its founder Grand Chief Joseph Tokwiro Norton.
Norton coincidentally is praised by his community for FOUNDING the MIT campus from which the servers are hosted.

AP- owned by Tokwiro. Tokwiro directly related to the server farm. Which "customers" of theirs are we referring to?

They are auditing their own business. It doesn't matter that it's "the commission" instead of actually AP doing it in this instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed my point. It doesn't really matter who owns MIT. I agree that its shady that the same people own AP/UB and are also regulating those sites.

What I'm saying is that we probably don't need to worry about other poker sites, like FTP, just because they have stuff hosted at MIT.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:22 PM

This series of events could be very good or very bad for online poker. I think it could turn out very bad. Millions of losing players may think 'they were cheated' and not come back to online poker.

This may also add fuel for politicians wanting to ban online poker and those 'on the fence'. They may state something to the effect 'see this is why the legislation was passed and we are trying to ban online poker altogether. You can never be sure about cheating online and we need to do everything we can to 'protect our citizens''. Or some other similar political bs statements. They already had the chance to regulate and tax online gambline and declined. In this sense I am very glad to be a Libertarian!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Closed Thread