I'm a Democrat: Democrats pick up 4 10.26%
I'm a Democrat: Republicans hold 19 48.72%
I'm a Republican: Democrats pick up 1 2.56%
I'm a Republican: Republicans hold 10 25.64%
I don't care which party wins: Democrats pick up 1 2.56%
I don't care which party wins: Republicans hold 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2007, 01:49 AM

Default Re: where does a-rod play next season?

John (Milwaukee): If there is an 80% chance of A-Rod moving, the next question, of course, is to where? I would think only the Red Sox would not think twice of going to 25 million per. Or am I wrong?

Nate Silver: Oh, I disagree. There's a ton of money pouring into baseball right now. Most of it is in the form of fixed subsidies, e.g. from MLBAM and National TV, rather than revenues that are marginally impacted by team quality, but that won't stop people from looking at their P&Ls and saying "Hey, we're in the black! Let's spend!". You have to understand that there are only 30 MLB owners, and most of them are not necessarily in profit-maximizing mode. There are a number of rich dudes who treat their teams as toys, and they start to worry when their teams are losing money, but so long as they can live out their childhood dreams and turn any sort of profit at all, that money is going into player personnel.

And with A-Rod in particular, the industry seems to have collectively resigned himself to allowing him to break the $30 million barrier. The only way that A-Rod doesn't get a contract averaging at least $28.5 million per annum is if his name turns up in the Mitchell Commission report.

Hmm.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:06 AM

Rodriguez will sign with the Florida Marlins for $250,000 a year. You heard it here first folks!
Old 10-18-2007, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rodriguez will sign with the Florida Marlins for $250,000 a year. You heard it here first folks!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thatd be one of the greatest things I've ever seen, if only because it'd clearly piss that douche bag Boras off
Old 10-18-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thatd be one of the greatest things I've ever seen, if only because it'd clearly piss that douche bag Boras off

[/ QUOTE ]

except Florida is an absolutely terrible franchise, so them getting rewarded would suck
Old 10-18-2007, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You've made this same point in like 45 posts, we understand your stance on a-rod, his decline and all that.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is happeneing is that this thread goes dormant for a few days then new people come in and chime in and it's obvious from their posts that they haven't read the whole long thread. So i think Desert cat is addressing those people.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Boras would drop him as a client before he would let that happen.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

except Florida is an absolutely terrible franchise

[/ QUOTE ]

This is quite wrong
Old 10-18-2007, 11:22 AM

A-Rod stays with the Yankees.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cashman needs to sign Barry, he'll be by far the biggest value on the FA market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry Bonds as a DH is going to be [censored] obscene. If the Yankees acquire him...man as a Red Sox fan I will NOT be happy

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't have to worry. Torre would pinch run for Bonds in the 1st inning every game. He can't be clogging up the bases you know.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
John (Milwaukee): If there is an 80% chance of A-Rod moving, the next question, of course, is to where? I would think only the Red Sox would not think twice of going to 25 million per. Or am I wrong?

Nate Silver: Oh, I disagree. There's a ton of money pouring into baseball right now. Most of it is in the form of fixed subsidies, e.g. from MLBAM and National TV, rather than revenues that are marginally impacted by team quality, but that won't stop people from looking at their P&Ls and saying "Hey, we're in the black! Let's spend!". You have to understand that there are only 30 MLB owners, and most of them are not necessarily in profit-maximizing mode. There are a number of rich dudes who treat their teams as toys, and they start to worry when their teams are losing money, but so long as they can live out their childhood dreams and turn any sort of profit at all, that money is going into player personnel.

And with A-Rod in particular, the industry seems to have collectively resigned himself to allowing him to break the $30 million barrier. The only way that A-Rod doesn't get a contract averaging at least $28.5 million per annum is if his name turns up in the Mitchell Commission report.

Hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading the Nate Silver chats on 9/30 and 10/17, it appears he thinks there is a strong likelihood ARod plays for another team (80%).

In the 9/30 chat, he said:

[ QUOTE ]
Nate Silver: I think because an extension implies that you're tearing up the current contract, including the provisions that would have Texas picking up 1/3 of his salary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, the assumption in this thread is that an extension would not void the Texas subsidy. Can anyone provide a link to substantiate that assertion?