Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 AM

Default Bottom Two Pair

$1.25 45-player SnG (FullTilt).

Blinds t25/50

Hero in BB with t1,670
Villain in MP with t1,800

Folds to Villain, who limps. Folds to Hero, who checks option with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

FLOP (t125): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Bottom Two Pair

this depends on villain - if he is an aggressive player - i'd check/raise this - if he is on the passive side bet out.

betting out bottom 2 is usually better - specially with a 2 - if the board pairs your 2nd pair is neutralized.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:12 AM

depends on villain but i probably lead for 2/3 pot.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this depends on villain - if he is an aggressive player - i'd check/raise this - if he is on the passive side bet out.

betting out bottom 2 is usually better - specially with a 2 - if the board pairs your 2nd pair is neutralized.

[/ QUOTE ]

No specific read on Villain.

Hero bets t100.

Villain raises to t600.

Hero?
Old 10-18-2007, 09:23 AM

hero shoves.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

...pushes for the second time in a short period and again realizes he doesn't have time for a mandatory fist-pump!
Old 10-18-2007, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

...pushes for the second time in a short period and again realizes he doesn't have time for a mandatory fist-pump!

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL. So no argument for calling and re-evaluating? Is that because I don't have enough left behind? Or because I want to give him a chance to pay too much for his draw?

How much of a problem is it that my lower pair is so likely to be counterfeited?
Old 10-18-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hero?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LoL. So no argument for calling and re-evaluating? Is that because I don't have enough left behind? Or because I want to give him a chance to pay too much for his draw?

How much of a problem is it that my lower pair is so likely to be counterfeited?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok... It's a combination of all three actually. Also, if he's playing something like QJ or QT, action will stop for both of you if another [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] comes on turn.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:04 AM

Seems to me that if Villain doesn't hold a Q, then there are three "outs" for your 2s to be counterfeited on turn or river, which is ~12% likely. Then, if a non-Q hits on the turn, there are three more "outs" for your twos to be counterfeited on the river, or another ~7%. There are some overlaps among these outcomes, and also some chances that you will hit trips with either your 7 or 2. So it's probably around 15-18% likely that you will end up with just your sevens.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:16 AM

Thanks, and I apologize for posting such standard hands but I'm trying to learn everything I can from them. You are all really helpful.

So my rationale for pushing is:

--I probably have the best hand right now. If I don't, I'm crushed by something (a set or top two pair) that I'll just have to pay off.

--I want him to have Qx and stack off with it. I also don't mind if he over-pays for his diamond flush draw.

--The turn can't really improve my hand; it can fill up my boat, but I already think I have the best hand anyway.

--However, the turn can improve his hand and can also shut the action down with a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or other scare card. With one of my pairs being 22, just about any card other than 7 or 2 is a scare card for me.

--So get it in now.

Is that about right?