Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: QB
T. Brady vs IND 3 50.00%
D. Brees @ TB 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Cheating at AP, updated cliff notes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if they offer to pay back 700k everyone should be happy

[/ QUOTE ]

Not in any possible way. The untolerable event that has taken place is not the security breach with the superuser stealing, but the fact that AP shattered their integrity by lying about it, and it doesn't matter in the slightest whether "they will do it again" or not.
AP's knowingly denying that the events took place, and going as far as denying even the technical possibility of them happening, is akin to a financial institution going out of their way to cover up an insider trading scheme.

Anyone who cares the tiniest bit about the credibility of internet poker must do all they can to ensure AP faces the fullest possible consequences, regardless of whatever compensation the affected players might get.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with his 100% i was not affected by this financially as i never really played on absolute, but there are much bigger issues here than getting everyone paid back, absolute needs to be made example of so that we can be sure this does not happen again at another site, i think this can actually be very good for online poker in the long run if it is dealt with the right way

this could be a major step toward regulation in the US and if the culprits are adequately punished it will prevent cheating in the future, if absolute can get away with blatently lying to its customers and the guilty parties face no reprocussions for what they did, thats a major step in the wrong direction and it sends out a message that these companies can do whatever they want and suffer no consequences

if absolute was to come completely clean right now, i still could not trust them in the future because they are only coming clean because they had no other choice, they have already clearly lied and tried to cover the whole thing up, theres a strong chance that the company had something to do with the cheating in the first place, i think its absolutely necessary that they do go down in flames, there needs to be a message sent to the public as well as other cardrooms that this type of behavior will not be tolerated, we need to set a precedent here and hopefully trigger some kind of online poker reform or regulation that could make the public trust online poker more than it does today and move toward some positive legislation
Old 10-17-2007, 11:43 PM

I ask- because apparently Iovation is the fraud consultant used by Absolute Poker and is supposed to be an industry leader in preventing online fraud.

Among their claims...

The solution links physical devices (PCs) and online accounts and can facilitate the sharing of device reputations among subscribers.

I'm not trying to stir anything up- and they are likely a very legit company- but don't we suspect at various times this started happening after a recent update?

To be clear: I mostly ask because they are also nine.com's consultant.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:07 AM

The guy who started up Iovation also started up Ultimate Bet, or at least the shell software company behind UB. He frequently appears in Phil Hellmuth blogs. His name is Greg Pierson. If you google his name you'll get a bunch of Hellmuths blogs about him.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:24 AM

Right- that's what I was getting at.

And they very clearly state they have a fraud consultant relationship with Absolute Poker as of the last year or so.
And since their stated products/solutions are seemingly the ones in use when you hear about all the shutdowns at UB because of activites or non-activites of players at Absolute (plenty of threads on this around) I'm wondering what would happen if someone asked them what tie ins they know about on the accounts that are the known cheating accounts at this point.

Edit: to be clear- I'm not saying they would respond to us. But this seems like a clear spot where Absolute could actually get useful info if they wanted without the show of an audit. (which they should still open themselves to)

And one more time to make sure... they are also nine.com's consultant.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not trying to stir anything up- and they are likely a very legit company- but don't we suspect at various times this started happening after a recent update?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it definitely started before that.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:12 AM

Okay- even if it started before that I guess the point I was making is that their explicit stated expertise is in tying together accounts and activities like this.

So while not attempting to sound nefarious- someone somewhere should have all this info tied up in a nice little package if they are actually asked.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:08 AM

A little background on AP's outsourcing of security and technology services:

2004: Interactive Gaming Security Network provided "managed security solutions" to Absolute.
Press Release

2006: Arizona Bay (IGSN's parent company) is retained to provide "a rapid development and deployment of technology and human infrastructure to support Absolute Poker’s rapid growth objectives."
Press Release

As of last year, Arizona Bay's, Senior Consultant, Curtis Olson was acting as Absolute's Vice President of Technology.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A little background on AP's outsourcing of security and technology services:

2004: Interactive Gaming Security Network provided "managed security solutions" to Absolute.
Press Release

2006: Arizona Bay (IGSN's parent company) is retained to provide "a rapid development and deployment of technology and human infrastructure to support Absolute Poker’s rapid growth objectives."
Press Release

As of last year, Arizona Bay's, Senior Consultant, Curtis Olson was acting as Absolute's Vice President of Technology.

[/ QUOTE ]

mm, good coffee!

The title of the 2nd press release is "Arizona Bay Guides Hypergrowth of Absolute Poker.com"

L
O
L
Closed Thread