Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Neccessary Kitchen Items

Gadgets. As others have mentioned the one I tend to use the most is a garlic press. I got the one recommended in the America's Test Kitchen cook book, which brings up my other point. Oh yeah, one more gadget. I like my expensive French made enameled cast iron Dutch oven. I noticed Lodge is now making an enameled cast iron Dutch oven in what looks like a really handy 6 quart size for much less money. I like mine, but I can see saving a bunch of money and getting what I would guess is very good, given how I like my lodge cast iron frying pan.

Anyway, I am also in a small town without a high end grocery store. We do have a specialty kitchen store with a few food items, but no big luxury grocery stores. I have found that America's test kitchen cookbook to be pretty good. You can find a recipe with things available most places. They will offer substitutions for hard to find things. They have equipment recommendations, often for things that don't cost huge money. I am starting to try more recipes out of it although I have had it for a while and so far like most of them. One area the book has helped is on sauces and gravy and such. I can botch one of these quickly, but the ideas and instructions in the book help. I am not a great cook but like to try to make something decent. I am not usually willing to start a recipe 4 days in advance. When the first step is to slaughter a calf to get the veal stock going or whatever, I tend to think about making tacos. This cookbook IMO can get you making some pretty good stuff with common things and will give you details to get things right.