Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 05:01 AM

Default Re: In your estimation, is 10NL real poker?

[ QUOTE ]
A higher percentage of your total profit comes from raising and cbetting with air at $50nl+ than is necessary at <$10nl imo, you tend to have a higher winrate at lower stake games because you get paid off alot lighter when you have a hand with alot of showdown value rather than having to force the issue imo.

Before i started this challenge i played $100+ around 14/9/3 but have found raising and cbetting with nothing dosnt work enough to be profitable for me at lower stakes.

I play 12 tables so maybe i play a little tighter because of it but thats my opinion.

I'm sure i'm missing value by not raising in some spots but i dont think it's worth the hassle while 12 tabling tbh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that at the 10NL level, because everyone once to be the next WPT champion, im getting my big hands(AK,AQ,KQ,QQ,JJ)called down and reraised on any and every street. Its as if everyone once to play sheriff and slow you down?

I was getting some excellent advice tonight from a winning player on 2p2 as a result of this thread so it helps to post. Now, I just need to learn how to combat players who bet into my AK on every flop from the EP.

ex. I raise AK from button after two limpers. Limpers call my .50-.60 raise.

FLOP is T72 and OOP player leads into my with like $1.5-$2! Now, I am forced to decide whether i am donating or should i call them down?

I was telling someone on AIM tonite, that I saw Bottomset's video and his big hand, AJ+, etc were like 70+% winners. My PT stats are in the 30s! wtf My postflop play is horrendous.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:16 AM

I don't float much with AK at my level (NL10), I don't think this is a leak. I mean calling a pot sized bet with just overs in a multiway-pot is IMO bad.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:48 AM

Playing too tight at NL5 is very bad. You really want to learn how to handle difficult situations against bad players when the money doesn´t hurt. 20/10 is just fine, and 70% of all 2/3 sized cbets will not get called.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:06 AM

1) Yes it is real poker, or as real as online poker gets. You're just exploiting different tendancies. The players at NL25 and often NL50 tables are just as bad, but make different mistakes. NL10 bad players call too much or make big mistakes occasionally- NL25 and NL50 have some of the same mistakes made but also have players that fold way too much.

2) 'optimum stats' depend on the table and players. I think 12/5 can be a winning style at NL10 and NL25, maybe even NL50, but is unlikely to be optimum.

3) For the love of g*d move up chipstar.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:10 AM

I always enjoy this talk of optimal play and stats and whatever. I don't think its necessarily helpful to the OP though. I mean, sure you can play relatively loose and aggro at NL10 and make a ton, but you have to know how to play poker first. Just telling someone that if he plays these types of stats he's going to win is like telling someone whose not played much golf to just hit off the tee with a driver. Regarless of whether that person can actually hit the driver correctly, or if its even the right club for the hole.

Most people who play micros are still learning the game. So telling them to play 20/10 or whatever is ignorant if you don't know how well OP can play poker in the first place. I disagree also, about learning how to play in tough situations when the money is cheap. In NL10 you should be learning how to get your opponents into bad situations not walking into them blindly yourself.

In my opinion at NL10 you should be focused on working on your game, not 'do I have the right stats?' or 'am I playing optimally?'. You need to find a group of starting hands to play that work for you(make money) preflop and post flop. Learn how to play those and learn how to play against all kinds of opponents (lord knows NL10 has it all), then as you get more confident in your play, add hands. Experience is going to take you farther than worrying about optimal stats.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 AM

Of course it's real poker but as pointed out it's like a low level ive game or a home game. I built my BR playing 10NL and occassionaly play it now and again.

A few things that I have noticed is VALUE BET. Also despite getting many callers continue to raise pf and follow a cbet unless the board is horrible or you complelty missed as most players are fit or fold on the flop. Don't get frustated by the suckouts it seems that your TPTK will always getting beaten by a rivered 2 pair, stick with it.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am currently building a roll and I have started once again at 10NL. The question that I have is 10NL real poker? What I mean by this is, will I see players limp/call a 5-7x BB raise from the early position? Will I see players move all in on a suited and coordinated board with one pair often?

I kill the live 1/2 NL games in Atlantic City but I am darned if I am able to beat this micro crap in order to move up with a proper roll!

PS I am in dire need of a poker buddy who is a winning micro stakes player who is willing to assist me in my journey.

My AIM is gladi8tor333

[/ QUOTE ]

Answer for NL10. Make big hands, get paid off.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:58 AM

From what i saw 9tabling it the past day or so, LOL its like play money.

I get called down with 3rd pair, overcard cbets arn't bluffs their value bets.

Ill play some NL$10 6max later and compare it.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:46 PM

10nl 6max is awesome if you don't tilt easily when your aces get cracked by a 70/0/0 with 27off.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:44 PM

but
is usefull to play in those games??
sometimes i think that in the effort to beat NL10, i can learn NOTHING to beat higher levels, where the money IS money...