Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: My wife wants to learn how to play poker

So I decided to try and see if she likes to play Sit n Go's, we played about 8 yesterday at the 10 buy in and she said she prefered short stacking to start.

There was to much going on in Sit N go's to take in at once, to much strategy for her to get from the start such as
widing our calling and pushing range when the blinds got higher in the later parts of the tournament, trying to claculate pot odds and implied odds, bubble play etc.

Thx for the tips .

Also are there any good short stacking websites or articles out there?
Old 10-15-2007, 11:38 AM

While I normally think SnGs are not the best way to learn poker, I agree that they emphasize the beginning concepts that a noobish player should be learning whilst being somewhat exciting.

My wife, in particular, simply doesn't play cash games well yet, and every time she has tried she has managed to lose money over and extended period of time. However, she has good hand-selection preflop and is VERY patient about waiting for her spots.

She does this in cash games with full stacks too often and usually ends up giving people odds to draw out on her. However, except for maybe the first or second level in SnGs, that isn't really a concern (and she has learned to tailor her aggression levels in those first two rounds to make the most of big pps when the come early). Plus she finds it exciting to play a one or two table tourney and money it, or even beat it occasionally.

So yeah, if your wife is like mine, go with SnGs. Preflop hand selection and position is much easier to teach than say pot/implied odds, flop texture, semi-bluffing, and so forth, and she will likely enjoy playing in a tourney structure much more (certainly more than playing like a short-stacking nit in a cash-game).

Of note is that my wife is finally starting to see the cash potential of playing cash games and is slowly but surely migrating herself over to the cash game side. I think this progression might be pretty standard for winning SnG players so eventually you will teach her more.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:39 AM

My wife plays on Ft now and she is good. She learned buy playing tourtys at home with a bunch of friends and then I sat with her on FT and watched over her shoulder. She now can play up to 12 tables cash game.

As long as you keep buyins low enough online is a good way to learn. Although I think most, including myself learned buy playing live and getting our heads kicked in. GL
Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed Miller
Old 10-15-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I decided to try and see if she likes to play Sit n Go's, we played about 8 yesterday at the 10 buy in and she said she prefered short stacking to start.

There was to much going on in Sit N go's to take in at once, to much strategy for her to get from the start such as
widing our calling and pushing range when the blinds got higher in the later parts of the tournament, trying to claculate pot odds and implied odds, bubble play etc.

Thx for the tips .

[/ QUOTE ]

Search out Ed Miller and/or Noted Poker Authority in google for help shortstacking.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:01 PM

Limit Cash
Old 10-15-2007, 01:37 PM

My wife loves 6max limit holdem cash games. Lots of action and big learning curve while playing many others on same learning curve. She's been eeking out about 1 BB/100 at .50/1 and 1/2 for the last 2 years. Great way to learn postflop skills.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 PM

My wife watched me[which I secretly hate]. Started playing micro-limits. Learned not to play K-9. Then she likes to sit and fold the J-4 hands and then when I do have a hand I will tell her what to do. She gets my reasoning for folding and raising. This way I sit and watch Football or read. Of course I do not have the best Info when Playing a hand but at least she is on my side.
Now she plays NL 200 and probably wins a little. This also helps her to understand the Frustration of Poker.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:40 PM

I don't mean to be mean at all, but if your wife cannot handle the basics of starting hands and when to push/call and where not to and simplified implied odds, she shouldn't be playing poker.

I could be completely out of line here and say that she was dumped too much on at one time, but if you do choose to go the SNG route, just try and take 1 SNG a time and focus her on position play. The next SNG, focus on playing in the bubble (try folding the way to bubble/only play AA KK) and play like mad on the bubble to focus on that. Then the next one, focus on getting your money in good with implied odds/pot odds and when to call and not to call.

I think SNGs are the best way to learn the game for an average person, providing they're showed the basics one at a time (something maybe not done). She's going to have to learn the exact same things at any cash table, just not bubble play.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whats the easiest thing for her to start on?

[/ QUOTE ]

The dinner, then bringing you the beers

[/ QUOTE ]

A+