Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Why do people back into parking spaces?

[ QUOTE ]
/thread

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-16-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was pulling into the lot at work and was behind this woman driving very slowly. She then suddenly stopped and then her reverse lights came on and she spent the next 1.5 minutes backing into the space. This put me on life tilt. Why do people back into parking spaces??? I need to understand so I can function for the rest of the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Virtually anyone who drives for a living is immediately taught to always back in. When I worked for Budget, company policy was to ALWAYS back in. When my brother drove for the post office he was also told to always back in.

The reason is that it is MUCH safer. A tremendous number of accidents are caused by people backing into things. Yes, you can still hit something backing into the spot, however people are generally paying a lot more attention when they're parking than when they're pulling out. And if you hit something backing into a spot, it's generally a lot less serious than if you hit something backing out.

Of course, when you DO drive for a living you get really, really good at backing into spots and you can do it at least as quickly as most people who pull in front first. Which always impresses the hell out of everybody.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
/thread

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
PLS!!
Old 10-16-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason is that it is MUCH safer. A tremendous number of accidents are caused by people backing into things. Yes, you can still hit something backing into the spot, however people are generally paying a lot more attention when they're parking than when they're pulling out. And if you hit something backing into a spot, it's generally a lot less serious than if you hit something backing out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah well put.

Reminds me of when I first got a brand new vehicle. It was a 1994 Toyota pickup. Totally stock, 2WD, didn't even come with a stereo, nothing fancy at all. But it was new and I had driven shitbeaters my whole life up to that point.

Well, after only like the third day I had it I was backing into a spot at my apartment complex and inadvertently backed into a tree which for whatever reason was overhanging the spot. Man that sucked and I had to drive around with this huge gay-ass dent in my liftgate until I could afford the several hundred dollars to get it fixed a few months later. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

(Another unfortunate thing that happened as a result was I put my golf clubs in the back on my way to play while the liftgate was getting repaired. They slid out onto the road and by the time I realized this and backtracked, someone had scooped them. That sucked too...)
Old 10-16-2007, 03:06 PM

I'm all about backing into spots at the parking garage at work, but about 75% of the time there are people behind me so I just pull in to not waste their time.

I've included an MS Paint to further explain, although it's already been explained.

This is what floors 1-5 look like.
I always park near spot A (explanation later). If a large truck happens to be in spot A and I am just below him it'd be hard for me to see someone whipping around the corner on his way out of work if I was backing up.

I'd also like to comment how dumb or lazy many of my colleagues are when it comes to parking. Spots near A are always open because instead of parking there people will park near B and walk 4x farther (sorry, drawing not to scale) instead of park at A and walk an extra flight of stairs. Or else they'll drive up another level or two so they can park close to the stairs, or even take an elevator down. Sorry, I left off the 3 elevators.

Also, I'm awesome at the 90 degree back up, so I do it whenever I can. Moreover, most other people suck at parking.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM

Okay so to sum up the thread... backing in is preferable for:

(1) larger vehicles... I've seen trucks do this a lot... I've never really questioned the reason as I never owned a truck

But more importantly it seems
(2) If you run into something when you're backing in, there are likely zero witnesses so you can take off... however, if you run into something while you're backing out, there is a greater likelihood of witnesses so you are screwed.

Sounds about right?

-G
Old 10-16-2007, 03:44 PM

Also, while driving into work I'm rarely in a rush to start working, but I am often eager to leave, so it's nice for a quick exit.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never do it. I do drive thru though when the opportunity arises!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very important. I also hate it when people park in a space that has a pull through possibility but don't pull through. Thus wasting the pull through.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife refuses to pull through and she thinks I'm weird because it drives me insane...
Old 10-16-2007, 04:01 PM

I back into spaces most of the time.

1) It's quicker overall. I can quickly back into a space and not have to worry about waiting to see if it's clear or if the parking lot aisle/street is semi-busy you can get out much easier and quicker than if you had fronted in.

2) You can fit into MUCH tighter spaces if you back in without having to do a 3-point turn.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never do it. I do drive thru though when the opportunity arises!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very important. I also hate it when people park in a space that has a pull through possibility but don't pull through. Thus wasting the pull through.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife refuses to pull through and she thinks I'm weird because it drives me insane...

[/ QUOTE ]

Please slap her for me.