Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Need Help finding something to believe in

You feel empty because you have missed the whole point of life. Of course, people can create their own purpose for life - but in the end they always look the same selfish.. hellish types of purposes that leave you wanting.

Life does have a purpose and a meaning and I can even tell you where to begin looking, at the person of Jesus Christ.
You can become a completely new creation and leave all this behind whenever you want.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You feel empty because you have missed the whole point of life. Of course, people can create their own purpose for life - but in the end they always look the same selfish.. hellish types of purposes that leave you wanting.

Life does have a purpose and a meaning and I can even tell you where to begin looking, at the person of Jesus Christ.
You can become a completely new creation and leave all this behind whenever you want.

[/ QUOTE ]

My meaning in life is going to be marrying my girlfriend, and trying to spend as much time as i can sitting around enjoying my time with her, probably having kids also, and seeing as much of the world as I can while i have time.

i've always been one of those hellish types i guess.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how old are you. do you go to school. do you work. describe your thoughts about your social life, with both guys and girls, past and present.

sounds to me mostly like you're bored and have no structure. working a job or going to school is a good thing, and i doubt you do either. Beyond that, life is about spending time doing things you enjoy with people you enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm 19 (turning 20 soon) and was in school last year, but took the year off because i didn't like my major and wasn't really trying anyway, just bored by school i guess. I don't work, i just play poker (i still live with my parents, but i have to pay them rent seeing as i'm not in school etc).

My social life consists of some friends from highschool who i hang out with on the weekends/go to breakfast with during the week etc, all guys. Have had two relationships with girls that were for an extended period of time (over four months, not that long, but it is for me). I broke up with both of them, but not in a direct way (i don't like to be aggressive so i basically did stuff to piss them off to the brink of dumping me, dunno if this makes me feel better about myself or whatever).

I met a girl that i had a class with last year, and she seemed interested in me. Texted and stuff for a few days, asked her to lunch, she said she was busy, i started ignoring her. I don't generally have a positive feeling about girls/women anyway, but half wish i could make something work....just so i had someone.

I see couples that look happy in coffee shops or out on the street, and i get pretty jealous. My life has little structure, but i'm re-applying to school this year hopefully it works out better this time.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
try to [censored] as many women as possible. This is the ultimate goal in life.

[/ QUOTE ]
heh, just gave me short term satisfaction. I don't have a lot of trouble getting girls, but i don't really care too anymore.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol, after i read this post i expected a gimmick with 2 posts.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Beyond that, life is about spending time doing things you enjoy with people you enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]
still searching for things that i "enjoy". Talk about this a lot with my psych. She says i need to actively search, and not just expect something i enjoy to fall into my lap, but i wouldn't even know where to begin. It all seems so meaningless and boring.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Beyond that, life is about spending time doing things you enjoy with people you enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]
still searching for things that i "enjoy". Talk about this a lot with my psych. She says i need to actively search, and not just expect something i enjoy to fall into my lap, but i wouldn't even know where to begin. It all seems so meaningless and boring.

[/ QUOTE ]

What were you taking in school that you found so boring before? Maybe try some liberal arts type classes. It would be great if you could find a creative/artistic outlet for expressing what you are feeling. Writing, painting, acting, singing, playing an instrument, writing songs.

It sounds like you could use some broadening of your intellectual horizons. Try reading some of the great authors. Some of the great works of literature deal with exactly the kind of place you find yourself in right now. Science fiction is cool for expanding your vision. Philosophy is ok if you can stand it. Comparative religions could help if you are open to it. You have arrived at these conclusions with a very limited knowledge base. Don't assume you've figured everything out already. There are many spiritual paths available. Until you find your mission in life make your mission to find it.

PairTheBoard
Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with the plus side for society is that it assumes people care about that. Most people don't. I could careless about society. To be honest I actually have a lot of contempt for the vast majority so helping them is the last thing I would want to do.

It also assumes that jobs somehow help people. Some do but very few and they usually pay too little to be a reasonable option. I don't see how society would be better off if I was down on Bay St defending a corporation's intellectual property rights vs sitting here enjoying a cider and playing poker. At least with playing poker my waitress will get a generous tip which makes a Monday afternoon shift that much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wholeheartedly disagree with this view. I even think that your view is illogical. You are the product of the society and you have a contempt for it, it's like my left hand having a contempt for me (assuming that it could decide for itself.)

It seems that you didn't think much about jobs, and how they help people and society. The vast majourity of jobs help people/society. Most of the jobs consist of producing/selling goods or services, which people need. (Once again, I can see some entertainment value that profesional poker players create for the so-called fish.)

Defending company's intellectual rights helps to establish 'the rules of the game', under which innovations become profitable, leading in turn to technological and scientific advances and economical growth. Shouldn't be too hard to figure it out.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wholeheartedly disagree with this view. I even think that your view is illogical. You are the product of the society and you have a contempt for it, it's like my left hand having a contempt for me (assuming that it could decide for itself.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Society is not a homogeneous group. The part I have contempt for is the pathetic loser sub-group. Sadly that group is the largest. I have zero desire to help society as a group. If I was told by the State that they were going to confiscate $1M from me and the choice was between having the State use it to help poor people or burning the money I would choose to have it burned.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that you didn't think much about jobs, and how they help people and society. The vast majority of jobs help people/society. Most of the jobs consist of producing/selling goods or services, which people need.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the exception of possibly auto-workers and some aspects of construction manufacturing jobs simply don't pay enough for someone to have a comfortable life. Concepts of higher meaning and life's purpose don't enter the mind of the poor who are always so tired they never have the energy to think about those things.

[ QUOTE ]
Defending company's intellectual rights helps to establish 'the rules of the game', under which innovations become profitable, leading in turn to technological and scientific advances and economical growth. Shouldn't be too hard to figure it out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and someone steps in and does that. It is not like there is any shortage of IP lawyers or law students. They do it because they want the income and/or status that comes with being a lawyer. If they could have that while not actually having to do the boring work they would all jump ship.

-----------------------

Re: OP

You are 19 not in school and living with your parents. That is your problem. You need to move out.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 AM

Might I suggest an extended camping trip?

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

- Henry David Thoreau (1854)