Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 04:43 AM

Default An AKo UI hand oop against a lag

ok, say you have A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in co. you open-raise and get a call from the button, who is a 41/20 lag after 200 hands and who you haven't seen doing anything remarkable so far. the others fold and the flop is

Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

you bet and he calls. the turn is

2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

what's your action here?

ok, suppose you decide to bet and he calls. the river is

3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

what's your action here?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:26 AM

Default Re: An AKo UI hand oop against a lag

I think I c/c. He will prob bet JT T9 and missed clubs.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:38 AM

c/c. So many missed draws he can have. Turn is a b/f for me, but im not sure if thats too weak. I would be more inclined to call down if the turn made draws possible.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn is a b/f for me, but im not sure if thats too weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bet/folding OOP vs LAGs when you have SD value is asking to get owned.

This is one spot where getting coached by DD has helped me a lot. So I hope I get this one right [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If he is a bad LAG that will barrel away when you check I would just c/c turn and c/c river. With the connected flop there is not really any river I'd be comfortable c/f'ing.

If he is a good LAG on the other hand then he will value own you when you check. He will take his free cards when behind and he will take you to value town when ahead.

So the important thing when up against LAGs is to exploit their SD monkeyness and valueown them. So you really need to bet this turn when he isnt gonna do it for you.

However, he is also going to raise worse hands often enough so that b/f'ing is not best either. Against a good strong LAG I will b/c c/c.

BTW. I dont have good strong LAGs to my imediate left unless the rest of the table is extraordinarily good.

Cliff notes: c/c c/c vs bad lag. b/c down vs good lag (and quit the table)
Old 10-15-2007, 12:42 PM

ok, given the villain's description should we default to the bad lag or the good lag line?

for the good lag line, if we bet the turn and he calls, what's our line on the river?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:56 PM

Default to thinking he's a bad LAG because there are more of those and this line will get you to SD cheaper.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:14 PM

induce on the turn since he will bet the vast majority of the time when checked to

c/c river

If you do fire the turn and the board plays out like you say, then you have to call the river. Your equity will be around 40% on the river.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, given the villain's description should we default to the bad lag or the good lag line?

for the good lag line, if we bet the turn and he calls, what's our line on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once we have bet the turn then C/C is a good solid standard to let him bluff his missed draws. You don't want to bet fold as a good LAG may bluff raise missed draws and B/C is more than we really want to pay for showdown on non-paired boards especially.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once we have bet the turn then C/C is a good solid standard to let him bluff his missed draws. You don't want to bet fold as a good LAG may bluff raise missed draws and B/C is more than we really want to pay for showdown on non-paired boards especially.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just throwing away 1BB against good LAGs as well. A good LAG is going to see your check as a defensive check to get to showdown. He's going to value bet when he has it and check when he doesn't.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:10 PM

I tend to agree Abs.

But depending on the board and the action he still might have a profitable bluff with a lot of hands.

However, I think you are often right. So betting again for value on certain boards is clearly an option.

Also, good LAGs dont make stupid river raises very often. To be honest: How often do we really see reasonable players bluff raise rivers?