Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Good Hourly Rate or No?

When playing $1/2 Limit HE, where does an hourly rate of $14-$16 rank? Good? Not so good? Or not enough info to make that decision?

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Good Hourly Rate or No?

not enough info.

If you are playing 1 table, you are the best 1/2LHE player on the planet, if you are playing 20, its not that great.

stop worrying about how great your winrate is, and just worry about playing good poker. You'll never know your true winrate anyway, just make good decisions and everything else (Winrate) will take care of itself.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When playing $1/2 Limit HE, where does an hourly rate of $14-$16 rank? Good? Not so good? Or not enough info to make that decision?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donīt think you can make that much on the long term. Iīm guessing this is live and usually at this level the rake is huge so this game can barely be beaten even if you are the best player by far at your tables.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:02 PM

This is playing one table online at Full Tilt. For whatever reason, lately I find myself (more often than not) sitting down at a $1/2 game and within half an hour being up $7 or $8.

I find that the longer I play, the more likely I am to even out and drop back down to my buy-in. That happened to me twice yesterday. Two other times I quit after being ahead the $7 or $8.

Thus I have been thinking maybe for those times when I have those winnings, better to quit after the half hour and just be glad that session went well.

I presume if I win $7 or $8 in half-hour and quit and do that consistently, that translates to $14 to $16/hr? Yes? No?

And I agree with the idea of just trying to get better and letting the rest take care of itself. I just wanted to know if that particular hourly rate was a sign of progress or not.

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is playing one table online at Full Tilt. For whatever reason, lately I find myself (more often than not) sitting down at a $1/2 game and within half an hour being up $7 or $8.

I find that the longer I play, the more likely I am to even out and drop back down to my buy-in. That happened to me twice yesterday. Two other times I quit after being ahead the $7 or $8.

Thus I have been thinking maybe for those times when I have those winnings, better to quit after the half hour and just be glad that session went well.

I presume if I win $7 or $8 in half-hour and quit and do that consistently, that translates to $14 to $16/hr? Yes? No?

And I agree with the idea of just trying to get better and letting the rest take care of itself. I just wanted to know if that particular hourly rate was a sign of progress or not.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

quit looking at short term fluctuations, poker is won and lost of tens of thousands of hands, not 30 or 40. coming up with some kind of "play for half an hour and quit when im up $8" strategy is something people who dont understand poker try to do.

If you have an edge in the game you are playing in, you should play as long as your edge remains regardless of how much you are down or up. If you dont have an edge you should quit regardless if you are way up or way down.

But some poker books and do some study
Old 10-15-2007, 04:11 PM

I play the 1/2 LHE fulltilt tables about 3 hours a day, I usually play at lesast two tables and can win or lose 50 or more dollars on the course of a half hour, sometimes I'll play all day and be down a ton but keep playing becuse I know I have a sizeable edge and sure enough within an hour I'm back up to where I started or winning, the swings are absolutly huge when playing hundreds of hands an hour at 1/2 or higher limit holdem but if you have an edge just keep truckin.
Old 10-15-2007, 04:39 PM

Playing for 1/2 hour is a lot like fliping a coin, with luck being a bigger factor.