Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Advice For Staying Motivated

I’ve been playing Hold’Em for about 5 years now. I’ve tried other games (i.e. Stud, Omaha, Razz, etc.), but Hold’Em is my main game. I seem to have repeated a cycle of losing over and over and keep trying to break it.

When starting out, I deposited $50 and played $5 NLHE 9-handed SnGs. I went up and down for about 6 months, playing about 5 SnG’s a day. While I ended up losing the $50, I had a lot of fun and it was well worth the $50.

Before reloading, I “educated myself” by reading forums, specializing mainly in 1 game, and reading about 10 poker books.

Since then, I have run my bankroll up and down probably 5 times. On several occasions I hit highs of as much as $1,000, $1,500, and even $2,500. But inevitably, I go up TOO high a limit and get nailed. The bankroll free-fall begins. I start playing lousy, and keep losing. When it gets too low, I reload, and do not play any better, and lose it quickly. Eventually, I get disgusted, leaving $2 or $3 in my account and quit for about 2 weeks.

From there, I play micro limit (even as low as .02/.04 fixed limit) to build it back up. It often will take 2 - 4 weeks to even reach $10-$20, where I would be confident playing a $1 tourney. However, it always seems to go up from this point.

I am now in another cycle. I started about a month ago with $3 and have worked it up to about $115. Inspired a bit by reading Chris Ferguson’s article on how he started with $0, and built it up to $10,000 on FT, I have adopted his bankroll management rules (i.e. not entering games of more than 3% of my bankroll, etc.).

Looking at my stats on Shark Scope and the other stat websites, for tournaments, I am not a losing player, but I haven’t won much either. I show a profit of about $50 for tournaments and SnG play, over about 1200 games. Most of my bankroll has been lost in cash games.

Therefore, I have 2 questions:

- Can anyone suggest ways of staying motivated through the bad beats and bankroll hits, so you don’t lose everything when it starts to go down.
- Any suggestions on how to bring my level of play higher so that I am a profitable player instead of a break even one. (I feel like all of this is just idle practice, and I am not improving).

Sorry for the book. All comments appreciated.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:37 AM

Default Re: Advice For Staying Motivated

first thing i would say is that if indeed most of your losses are cash games, I would steer clear of them. Going on tilt from frustration can really cost you a ton in a cash game, whereas all you can lose is your buy in for tourney
Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 AM

play higher stakes. not only will it make u better in the long run, but i cant see how neone can be motivated at 2c/4c limit. like r u serious lol u can make more money busking or something. 4 weeks for $20 = $5/week like im not surprised u ran out of motivation. im not saying play over ur roll or nething but I'd suggest not going below $11 sngs. oh yeah and only play sngs. u dont sound like u have the temparament for cash games yet.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:15 AM

busking is such a great word

i would like to busk
Old 10-15-2007, 10:52 AM

The time I was rocking up at $2,500, I was playing cash games at $10/20 fixed limit, and playing profitably. Until I had a real bad run, losing about $500 in a session where everytime I looked down I had atleast QQ, but still managed to get suckout on. But, fixed limit has just gotten to me too much. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I have sworn off fixed limit mainly because I know I tilt too easy in it at low stakes.

My rationale has been, if I cannot beat the lower limits, where the average player is horrible. What makes me think I can beat the higher ones.

I CAN usually beat the lower limits, as long as I'm playing my A game. This past run from $3 - $115 has all been through $1 and $3 SnGs. But, I am kind of stalling out right now, winning a few, losing a few. Not really going anywhere.

But, seeing time after time guys risking all their chips on QT, KJ, when you go all in can get annoying when you keep getting nailed. "In the Long Run...." I know, but it still is frustrating.

I have enough padding in my roll (as well as enough back up if I need to reload) to try 5 - 10 SnGs at $11. So I might try that.

I have tried to stay off cash tables, recognizing that I am stronger at tournament play. In cash games, I tend to go from tight/overly aggressive to weak/passive quickly, and players recognize it and take advantage.

Love the advice...keep it coming.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:04 AM

You could always try playing 8 tables of whatever you can beat, you won't have much time to dwell on bad beats
Old 10-15-2007, 11:10 AM

I guess thats true too, lol. But I usually allow myself a maximum of 3 tables, so as not to become mechanical. I do make exceptions though, like when I am playing Stud. I fold so much off the top that rarely am I handling more than one hand at a time.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could always try playing 8 tables of whatever you can beat, you won't have much time to dwell on bad beats

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this is a level... but talk about mega tilt and burning through the roll when you are a tiltmonkey and play 8 tables at a time.... I can see OPs blood boiling already [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'd suggest OP stick with SNGs or other low variance / low risk type games when you feel the bad run/ out of control / tilt starting to creep in. (I know how you feel in Limit Holdem when noone ever seems to fold anything... )

Also OP do you use the 20/ 30/ 50 (or whatever) buyin rule before moving up or down? I cant imagine if you used it you be running 50$ up to 2500$ without in the process learning to beat the lower levels easily and consistently (to the point where you almost never have 10 buyin swings at SNGs)

One last thing... IMO regular SNGs have much lower variance than the Turbos, so you muight want to try that if you are playing turbos usually.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:33 AM

I know you have sworn off cash games, but as mainly a cash game player I can give you some advice in that area.

You were playing WAAAY above your bankroll at $10/$20. In general you want to have 300 - 500 BB (Big Bets) in your bank roll. 2500 dollars in a healthy amount for 3/6 limit and 4/8 limit. You are even getting close to being able to take a shot at 5/10 limit. I know at first this seems like a lot of money to be playing at such little tables, but as you said, you started running cold, bad beats, ect... If you have correct bankroll management, you will have the funds to pull yourself out of downswings. Sometimes downswings last for a long time but if you are always using correct bankroll management (sometimes having to drop limits) you should be able to win just like at the micro levels which it sounds like you have had some success in. To play 10/20 limit you need $6,000 - $10,000. maybe if you see at juicy game at the high 5000 mark take a shot at it.

Don't be to proud to drop limits when your running bad. Good bankroll management was the hardest thing for me to learn, and it is the best tool I have learned in making me a winning player.

If you ever feel like trying cash games again consider these things. Good luck with this and good luck at the table
Old 10-16-2007, 03:18 PM

I believe bankroll management and tilt has been my downfall most of the time. However, knowing what's wrong and doing something about it, are often two different things. In that regard, I will concentrate on these two issues the most in the future in an attempt to break the cycle.

Thanks guys. I'll keep you updated on how things go.