Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 11:09 PM

Default Short Stacking...

Ok. I do not really believe in short stacking mostly if you can afford a full buyin, but funny enough, tonight, is the night for short stacking.

The story? I play online using a bankroll i built from freerolls. I mostly play 10NL and 25NL for the most part.

A buddy of mine who watches me takes me out to play 200NL live from time to time staking me for 50% profit. Really, he knows i'll make money in the long run, but honestly, he's just a deginerate gambler that wants company....but here's the drawback.

He normally gives me $200-$400...Now we all know that 2 buyin swings are certanly possible, so what does this cause me to do? Play tight. Play scared.

The good news, i either win againts some moron, or end up blinding down and winning a pot that makes me break even.

Bleh, anyways, if he gives me $200, i figure that's 5 chances to play the short stack...but i don't have any experience doing it.

Main reason, we normally go and stay 10-12 hour sessions, and if i go broke in 1-2 big hands, then i just wait on my buddy to get done. Sucks.

Either way, i'm tired of playing with no rebuys, someone who is a sucessful short stacker....can you PM or post some good stuff to know?

Open push hands like AK and 99?
If this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know.

I may end up going and buying in for the full amount he gives me and playing tight/scared...but i'm so tired of having to play scared poker.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Short Stacking...

Holy crap people stakehorse at live 1/2?!

Edit: n/m the edit, I saw you didn't want to be sitting around for 10 hours.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:57 PM

Anyways, yah, def shove with AK every single time if someone opens. Obviously if the opener is in early position you shove tighter, if you are the button and the CO is loose and opens to 10, you can be shoving with literally any pair/any ace/any paint profitably.

Also don't be afraid to just shove 40 in there if there are like 5 limpers in front. Even though it's a bit of an overbet, it's still your best bet.

You will be looked up real light doing this, so be prepared for some suckouts. You could easily busto 200 this way, even if you have the best of it or a coinflip each time.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:27 AM

I would never shortstack 100nl or below online or basically any live game.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:27 AM

I think u should jst explain to your backer how u feel, he will lol then hand u more $$$
Old 10-14-2007, 03:51 AM

if your backer is in any way serious about profiting from this arrangement then he will give you way more than 2 buyins
Old 10-14-2007, 10:53 PM

It's not that he wouldn't stake me more, but really he's just offering because he knows i won't lose his money, and he likes the company (ride is 1.5 hours there and 1.5 back)

He's a degenerate gambler. I decided not to go after all anyways though(had some stuff to do at home this weekend).

He's still there, called me, told me he was at the table when the BBJ hit. Getting $1.4k. *chuckles* He hit it this afternoon though. Had i went, he'da missed it, as i have school tomorrow and i'da been back already.

Because it's live, i don't know exactly, but he plays about a 30/20 game live, so it's hysterical to watch, but it's always just a matter of time before he's broke.

Funny enough, he's trying so hard to get rich, but he only plays 1-2. It doesn't make sense. The money is only important if it's life changing, and no matter how good you are, at a 1-2 game, even if everyone has big stacks, there's no life changing amount of money ever on the table...so it's an endless cycle.

Buy in, win some, lose some, win some, get sucked out, lose the rest, end of trip.

He won't stop playing till he is either broke, or rich...guess which one is impossible at 1-2?

He really has a problem to be honest, but he keeps his bills paid. *shrugs*

Had he just put half the money he lost out there into a bank CD, he'd be halfway set for life.

I'm just looking for a way to kill some time while he does it. Thought i'd try short stacking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2007, 11:33 PM

Buying in for less than full live is like throwing money away.