Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Please Critique This Hand

Just started playing NL a few weeks ago, reading like crazy and getting in quite a few hands (2-3k/day), still seems necessary to get involved actively in the forum so here I go [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Thanks for all the information in general on the boards etc. Started at 25NL, did alright, up to 50NL and grinding at about 2-3 bets I'd say although it's only been 30k hands, obviously tons of holes though and I'm trying to learn as fast as I can.

Here goes.

Villian is predictable at about 14/8/N/A...don't have many hands on him but was comfortable with the read I had on him in that session on that table. He was pretty tight, straightforward, no real surprises, plays fast and if up to something peculiar will simply take more time to act...of course that's not a fact but just something else to consider.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Party Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $12.94
UTG: $83.52
Hero (MP): $61.88
CO: $50
BTN: $46.69
SB: $55.64

Pre-Flop: 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP)
UTG folds, Hero calls $0.50, <font color="red">CO raises to $2.50</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $2.25, BB folds, Hero calls $2

Flop: ($8) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $6</font>, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $18.50</font>, <font color="red">CO raises to $47.50 and is All-In</font>, Hero calls $29

Turn: ($103) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($103) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $103 Pot ($3 Rake)
Hero showed 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pairs, Jacks and Fours) and LOST (-$50 NET)
CO showed K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (two pairs, Kings and Jacks) and WON $100 (+$50 NET)

-----------------------------------------------------------

My reasoning...the call preflop was fine because I knew I would get action if I hit a draw/straight/flush. Postflop, after he bet out the way he did, I narrowed him down to 88/99+ (he is straightforward but if he had JJ he would have done the predictable thing and slowplayed)...AK/AQ/AJ...even then, he would've taken more time to act, as he bet out 2/3 pot as soon as action reached him, indicative of strength from the way he has been playing. Anyway, after SB folded, I semi-bluffed for a couple reasons:

1 - not only do I have the flush draw but also outs to 2pair/trips, thus 14 outs
2 - if I missed, on the turn, he would've made me pay quite a bit as again I was fairly certain he had an overpair
3 - I figured he might consider folding a pretty good hand like TT, 99, 88. Overpairs he probably would not fold, but, if he did have AJ lets say, he might consider simply calling and letting it be on the turn instead of risking another checkraise if he was considering I might have a set...buying me a card.

Mainly, I put him on the overpair, figured I was right, he would get it in on the flop, and figuring I have 14 it's about 50%, to hit by the river...it's still an easy call with all that money in there.

It was basically do it now and gamble when I was pretty sure I had the best of it, or call 2/3 pot bet on the flop, check the turn if I don't hit, and be faced with a huge bet or even a push from him, which would force me to consider folding a hand that I could have gotten all the money in with on the flop having the best of it with fold equity to boot.

Still, I could very well be overlooking something dire.

Thank you.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Please Critique This Hand

Fold pre the first time, fold pre the second time. As played, you can call the flop since you're last to act but raising is fine. The thing is though, when you raise like this, it's because you think you have fold equity and if you put him on 99+, it's pretty unlikely he's folding. So you can just call and if you don't improve on the turn you can let it go.

If you hit a 4 or a 6, check to check-raise - if you hit a heart, you can decide what to do but generally lead because if you think he has an overpair, there's a decent chance he has a heart and he'll call a bet. Checking is bad when you get a flush because he can check behind and you probably won't get much on the river unless he hits a 4th heart.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold pre the first time, fold pre the second time. As played, you can call the flop since you're last to act but raising is fine. The thing is though, when you raise like this, it's because you think you have fold equity and if you put him on 99+, it's pretty unlikely he's folding. So you can just call and if you don't improve on the turn you can let it go.

If you hit a 4 or a 6, check to check-raise - if you hit a heart, you can decide what to do but generally lead because if you think he has an overpair, there's a decent chance he has a heart and he'll call a bet. Checking is bad when you get a flush because he can check behind and you probably won't get much on the river unless he hits a 4th heart.

[/ QUOTE ]

K thanks, quick follow-up if you don't mind though. So why is calling preflop so bad with that hand... I've actually been trying to loosen my preflop standards as I am fairly tight...could've overshot it with this one.

As for the flop, the round ended with me getting all the money in when I had the best of it as read, is that not ideal over getting to the turn and possibly letting it go when I could have created a situation of +ev on the flop as I did?
Old 10-14-2007, 02:45 PM

Preflop the second time is okay, but most times you're just gonna whiff and have to fold, losing 5bb, and you're OOP.

The flop, it's like a 48/52 isn't it? It's not bad to get it in, but you just reduce variance by calling.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:49 PM

you are OOP - draws are harder to play and you do not get paid that well if you hit - that's why the call preflop is not that great

pushing strong draws is massively +EV because you have fold equity that adds to the profitability a lot. If you put villain on an overpair you do not have fold equity and your profits come from pot equity alone. So if you know villain is not going to fold it's the same as putting in 48$ to win 56$ - it's +EV but only marginally. Also villain is not making a mistake so you only make profit on the money allready in the pot and not the allin.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:15 PM

I guess I'm taking some principles too far, I'll re-evaulate. Thanks.