Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

[ QUOTE ]
machine guns - or can we _please_ call them assault rifles

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd rather you called them machine guns, because then I'd know what you're talking about, whereas an "assault rifle" is vague term often used by the media and gun control advocates to scare people.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd rather you called them machine guns, because then I'd know what you're talking about, whereas an "assault rifle" is vague term often used by the media and gun control advocates to scare people.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Most of the firearms deer hunters use can technically be referred to as "Assault Rifles".
Old 10-13-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Machine guns and assault rifles are separate terms for anyone who is remotely into weapons. And trust me, if you're into weapons, you'll find the idea of someone having a machine gun a lot more scarier than they having an assault rifle.

It's just a beef I have, like when someone calls a revolver for a pistol.

Here are some clickys:

Machine gun

Assault rifle
Old 10-13-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Machine guns and assault rifles are separate terms for anyone who is remotely into weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]
They're not all that separate terms if you go by the wiki's:
"An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle or carbine firing ammunition with muzzle energies intermediate between those typical of pistol and battle rifle ammunition."

Both a machine gun and an "assault rifle" would be considered automatic weapons. But then there's the nebulous "assault weapon", which is what I think you meant instead of "assault rifle". In any case, I'm not really scared of people owning machine guns, and if you have the $$$, you can probably buy a machine gun if you so desired.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Machine guns and assault rifles are separate terms for anyone who is remotely into weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]
"An assault rifle is a selective fire rifle or carbine firing ammunition with muzzle energies intermediate between those typical of pistol and battle rifle ammunition."

Both a machine gun and an "assault rifle" would be considered automatic weapons. But then there's the nebulous "assault weapon", which is what I think you meant instead of "assault rifle". In any case, I'm not really scared of people owning machine guns, and if you have the $$$, you can probably buy a machine gun if you so desired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, they both fire bullets dangerously fast.

But usually a machine gun is a term for a squad support weapon (both light ones like a mini-me and slightly heavier like .50 cals), assault rifles are usually your garden variety grunt weapon, like an M-4, M-16, AK-74 etc. And I meant assault rifle, and not assault weapon. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oh and to clarify, the discussion was about what swizz homeguard soldiers (I guess its homeguard? not sure) have in their closet.

But I fear my beef has hijacked the thread now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But usually a machine gun is a term for a squad support weapon (both light ones like a mini-me and slightly heavier like .50 cals), assault rifles are usually your garden variety grunt weapon, like an M-4, M-16, AK-74 etc. And I meant assault rifle, and not assault weapon. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But I fear my beef has hijacked the thread now. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
"Machine gun" in legal terms is an automatic weapon, so you can't say that there's a very distinct difference between "machine gun" and "assault rifle". Hell, look at the Assault Rifle wiki and you'll notice that they're categorized into "light machine guns" and "submachine guns".

I don't like the term assault rifle because I think it's the father its bastard child "assault weapon", which is a loaded political term that ignorant people use.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't like the term assault rifle because I think it's the father its bastard child "assault weapon", which is a loaded political term that ignorant people use.

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] me people say that liberals are politically correct.

Don' YO call ma gun thaaa'
Old 10-13-2007, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
"Machine gun" in legal terms is an automatic weapon, so you can't say that there's a very distinct difference between "machine gun" and "assault rifle". Hell, look at the Assault Rifle wiki and you'll notice that they're categorized into "light machine guns" and "submachine guns".

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say there is a disting difference? It's the accepted terms for those who use them or take an interest in them, including myself when I was in the military - and they separate widely different weapons for very different tasks whose common denominator is that they can both spew bullets dangerously quick.

Sure, let the media write machinegun all they want, as I have explained it is a beef I have and this isn't an uninformed newspaper article.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:50 PM

ok, let's agree to mental health evals to own a gun.

now, since normal people can *become* or go crazy, gun owners mjust undergo a periodic evaluation every X period of time.

logical?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok, let's agree to mental health evals to own a gun.

now, since normal people can *become* or go crazy, gun owners mjust undergo a periodic evaluation every X period of time.

logical?

[/ QUOTE ]

what if they own a machete', a screw driver, or an Honda Accord?

maybe you are being sarcastic...