5 0 0%
6 0 0%
7 1 5.26%
8 1 5.26%
9 2 10.53%
10 13 68.42%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-11-2007, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Were you picked first or last for the sports team?

play basketball--shoot free throws for teams.
Old 10-11-2007, 05:09 PM

I remember in 6th Grade being one of the last picked for football at recess. I remember going out and having 3 interceptions that game and played well for a while. After a while I was one of the first picked. That's a great feeling.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:12 PM

Usually early, it helps to be big for most sports, and i'm a natural athlete with super hand eye coordination.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am i the only kid who went from last the 1st day, middle the 2nd day, Then 1st(top pick) the rest of the year?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, That happened to me my first day of school after moving. 4th grade, and lucky me, we played dodgeball (different from Hawaiian style DB) during gym. I got picked last, obv, who wants a chick that no one knows about on their team?? Guys didn't know this girl could sidearm a 4 square ball, suckas!!!!!

From then on, I was never picked last on any team for any sport.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It definitely puts a chip on my shoulder when I get picked in the later rounds for basketball (my height prevents me from ever being the default kid), makes me play harder though.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, this is always quite satisfying. Being 5'10", white, and looking more like a linebacker than a basketball player really screws your draft position.

Little do they know I shot %53 from downtown my last two years of highschool basketball.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So were you guys first or last pick? And were any of you the captains? Oh man, to be the captain and GET TO PICK! That was a dream.....

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, great topic. On a personal level, I was usually captain of school teams, so I got to do the picking. And you know what? I used to pick the perennial last choices first - there's nothing like giving somebody a little motivational pick me up. Being picked last was one of the worst feelings I ever had, when I tried to play basketball at a decent level, but always spurred me on to do better. The guys in class at school didn't have that belief though.

Maybe I am a mug for not picking the best players first, but it wasn't always about winning back then. Even today in my local pool league, we have to select a top six to play and I'll occasionally sit out to give a fringe player a game.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:38 AM

For many a forlorn year I was picked last. Then one day there was a fumble return, and the little shaun ran the 96 yards to return the football. For a time I was picked within the top 3, and it was good.

Then I moved from upstate NY to VA, where I had my first encounter with a team consisting of african american decent, who stereotypes aside, blew me away with physical prowess.

Long and hard I tried to regain my past glory, alas, I failed. Only years later after fives years in the Marines do I find myself reclaiming the coveted top five picks spot.
I am a NYC kickball league all star, and it is good.

I also need another shot.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i was usually the first white kid picked

[/ QUOTE ]

I was one of the few white kids who got picked. Oh course we hardly touched the ball anyway. Every few games or so I would flash greatness and make the brothas yell "ooooohhhhhhh" Then I'd get the ball the next couple possessions and they would forget about me again. We never really played pick up football or baseball, but I am better in both of those.
Old 10-13-2007, 09:09 AM

Daniel Kitson standup, relevant after about 1min
Old 10-13-2007, 12:43 PM

Usually the captain. Almost always picked first, if not. This is definitely the case through college and law school.

I don't play many sports where you pick teams anymore. And, if we do, we usually just try to make it even or I'm on the team with my friends. I did get asked to play on two higher division slowpitch softball teams for my talents though, so that made feel like I'd still be one of the first picks if people had to choose.