Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Deep in live event AJ hand

The board is bone dry, what missed draw would he be betting here? I would likely c/f this river, or c/c a small amount. Looks like a middish pair that may have called off two streets and will likely check behind. Also if he has history where you busted him where you checked called him on the river, he's going to think twice before betting without a strong hand.

Wait I didn't see the flop checked through. I think we have to call pretty much everything now.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Although I played my AJ rather coy here by shoving you only get called by hands that beat you, except for maybe AT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are very wrong here since your hand is very unrepresented on the flop. I think most villains expect you to go ahead and bet an ace on the flop, especially out of position. I really don't see why any ace less than AT would bet the river if checked to given that they only beat a 9 and chop with any other ace. I really think that hands that would call you if you shoved would just check behind if you checked and most of the hands that get checked behind lose to you.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like checking the turn and blocking most rivers for about 12K.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...disregard this...(thought that OP bet the flop for some reason.)

I'd bet 20K on the flop, check the turn...bet/call 24K on the river.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wait I didn't see the flop checked through. I think we have to call pretty much everything now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that was defining for me too.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad that i wasn't the only one who (almost) missed this. What were your thoughts regarding the flop check?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Although I played my AJ rather coy here by shoving you only get called by hands that beat you, except for maybe AT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are very wrong here since your hand is very unrepresented on the flop. I think most villains expect you to go ahead and bet an ace on the flop, especially out of position. I really don't see why any ace less than AT would bet the river if checked to given that they only beat a 9 and chop with any other ace. I really think that hands that would call you if you shoved would just check behind if you checked and most of the hands that get checked behind lose to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think that Ax calls all-in here? Keep in mind we are playing the bubble and he is calling for everything. I really think Ax can find a fold here considering he has 10bbs left if he folds. I'm not entirely sold either way just thinking this out loud really.

You may be right that they also check behind in most spots but I think live players are particulary nittier than you are giving them credit for. I do however know for sure that a hand that has us beat is snap calling our shove.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad that i wasn't the only one who (almost) missed this. What were your thoughts regarding the flop check?

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest I didn't want to lead and get reraised. By checking I gave him a chance to bet an ace that I beat. I really didn't give him credit at the time for a very wide range and that was probably a mistake. In live play near the bubble alot of people will call a raise in position with AQ,AK and see a flop before they commit to it. I'm not saying this is correct by any means, it's just a pattern I see from some live players.

The plan was to check/call the flop or lead the turn if checked around. I took my time before acting on the flop and it might have scared him. After the turn I was committed and that was also part of the plan. So for me really it came down to how I get his entire range into the pot.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:05 AM

Check-call to induce bluff from possible busted flush draw. Doubtful he calls a valuebet w/ a worse hand, unless he sucks, then by all means take him to valuetown.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:43 AM

You should be betting this flop and shoving the turn!

As played, I dunno, shove and get called by Ax or a 9