Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 10:35 PM

Default 2 hypothetical hands

the biggest difference i've noticed between ss and micro is that its much more common for ss players to give up control of hands in marginal situations. in general, this gains more value from opponents' betting ranges, but makes decisions more defficult.

i wanted some thoughts on a couple of common situations and my approaches to them, because i'm not sure that they are the best.

example 1:

100bb stacks

CO villain is 32/12/2.7 stereotypical "not good" player.

hero is utg with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

hero opens for 4x, CO calls

flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

(pot 9.5x)

hero bets 7x, villain raises to 15x, hero calls

turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

(pot: 39.5x)

hero bets 27x

example 2:

100bb stacks

BB is 24/17/7 over 300 hands

hero is button with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

hero opens for 4x, villain calls

flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

(pot: 8.5x)

villain checks, hero checks

in example one, i like keeping control of the hand, because i have no idea what villain's minraise means, but i usually get a very genuine action out of him on the turn, as well as gaining some value from draws, worse hands, etc.

in example 2, i like playing in the dark more, because of the high likelyhood that villain will blow me off of my hand with a worse hand if i cbet, and also the high likelyhood that villain will try to take control of the hand with a lesser hand on later streets. since i'm in position, its easier for me to make the calldown.

in general, are these approaches fine, or are they flawed?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:03 AM

Default Re: 2 hypothetical hands

bump. anyone?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:28 AM

1st one I don't use so I won't comment on it. Looks good though and Ill try it.

2nd I might do it on a less drawy board like one without a flush draw. The problem is on this board after he bets and you call the turn he knows exactly what you have, and therefore he has a lot of bluff outs.
Also is it going to be call, fold on a diamond turn or what?

I think the times you induce him to put more money in with a hand he would of folded are more than made up for by the times you get outdrawn by J9 or whatever or he gets you to put more money in and fold. Im fine with the line w/o a flush draw on the flop.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:41 AM

Hand 1 ; I don't use this either and I'm pretty sure I leak money in these spots. Also I assume we call a shove on turn, ima try this soon too. Pretty nice line

Hand 2 ; yeah, I do this when I have history vs an aggro villain who will CR me a lot on that board. I call 2 streets after that a lot.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:45 AM

Hand 2 is fine as is your thinking behind it.

Hand 1, call me a nit but I usually just muck the flop vs an unknown. I don't think this line is terrible but I'd rather it if there was a FD there or we had some semblance of a read that he was aggro.