Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What does it matter?

[/ QUOTE ] it matters if it provides context to a statement.

[ QUOTE ]
I actually addressed this, and pvn clarified that he was merely criticizing the school's decision, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do when a private entity does something you don't like.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I voiced why I supported the schools decision (that is, to not allow students to carry firearms) which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do when a private entity does something you find agreeable.

[ QUOTE ]
From there, the discussion turned into whether or not the state should force citizens to refrain from carrying guns.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yet I never said anything of the sort. Perhaps you assumed I was saying something I wasn't? That's not uncommon here.

[ QUOTE ]
Because the thread started by addressing something different, I can't comment on the specific topic at hand? I don't get this. That eliminates about 95% of all discussion on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ] You're welcome to comment on anything you want. I have been objecting to people mischaracterizing my statements.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, kurto, what on earth are you blabbering about? Have *I* misrepresented any of your statements? (For that matter, I don't see where anyone else has either. I think what you're observing is the natural result of your statements not holding the underlying logic that you wish they did when they are scrutinized.)

You're the one who randomly mentioned that this thread started out by talking about a private institution, and all I'm saying is "What difference does that make? Since the discussion (if I could be bold enough to actually call it that) is now about something different, why should I not comment as I see fit?"

Slow down. I'm not sure what you're on right now, but I want some.

[ QUOTE ]
Finally... you wrote-
"people [who are opposed to government gun restriction] would want college kids carrying firearms"
But you're having to add stuff to what I said which demonstrates the confusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Do you disagree that what I added in brackets reflected the "people" you were referring to? It's called adding context. I changed nothing. Your words are right there. Don't blame me for adding the appropriate context. Blame yourself for saying it.

If you actually disagree with the context, then ignore the brackets and please tell me exactly which "people" you were referring to when you said:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really surpsised that people would want college kids carrying firearms.

[/ QUOTE ]

You weren't referring to people who were arguing against government restrictions?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What was the definition of "youth" used in this surgeon general report you mentioned? When I think of "youth", I think of 14 and younger, not adults.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe it was up to age 18... but I haven't read it in detail for quite a few years.

The report is here... SURGEON GENERAL REPORT

I do know from this report and I beleive the excellent read Freakonomics mentioned reports showing a correlation between youths and violence... I believe violence drops off very quickly in a group once they reach their mid twenties. Though I'm saying this from memory, not because I have the studies in hand.

I'm fairly certain there is a diminishing curve that correlates age to incidence of violence.

[ QUOTE ]
My sample size may be limited, but of the people I know that are usually drunk and immature, the vast majority of them can't afford to drop a couple hundred on a gun. They may, at best, have a hunting rifle that was passed down to them (this is Wisconsin, after all), but those don't make great concealed carry weapons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, using an example of my school... I went to Syracuse which had a large student population who were well off. The majority of students attending Syracuse would not have had a problem buying a gun.

This is really moot though... my argument was really only about whether or not we should WANT that group armed. (in response to comments from people who prefer an armed populace)
Old 10-12-2007, 06:01 PM

BCPVP,

[ QUOTE ]
Now if the law says that it's ok for them to carry concealed on the street, why is it somehow not ok for them to carry on campus? And it's not just students who aren't allowed to carry. It's staff and teachers too. Are they too immature to handle carrying a weapon as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they're private property and the market creates a demand for gun-free campuses?
Old 10-12-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Slow down. I'm not sure what you're on right now, but I want some.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on nothing more then the end of a workweek with less sleep then I would like and work that I'm ignoring. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Regarding the thread and all... I am content to conclude that to some degree people have been misunderstanding each other and perhaps it has led to great confusion.

I was actually quite surprised at the response to my post.

It really was this simple to me.
Thread starts about college student who wants to carry guns on school who gets into trouble. The college student thought everyone would be safer if all the students could carry firearms.

Tangent or not... the conversation led to a point where some where suggesting that an armed populace is safer (which mirrors the beliefs of the original college student.)

I step in at this point and question the wisdom of wanting college students to be armed.

All hell breaks loose.

I can say this... to me, college students are still young. There are regularly reports that come out about how frightening abuse of alcohol is in college. I don't think there's a lot of disagreement that drunk college (particularly men) are prone to irresponsible and oftentimes violent behaviour. (I saw drunken fights pretty regularly in college... always accompanied by alcohol) I've merely been suggesting that this isn't the best crowd to have easy access to firearms.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BCPVP,

[ QUOTE ]
Now if the law says that it's ok for them to carry concealed on the street, why is it somehow not ok for them to carry on campus? And it's not just students who aren't allowed to carry. It's staff and teachers too. Are they too immature to handle carrying a weapon as well?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they're private property and the market creates a demand for gun-free campuses?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't have a problem with a private institution having rules against concealed carry and I would hope you wouldn't have a problem with others criticizing that institution's rules. But I think it should be obvious that we're not just talking about the particular school in the OP anymore. Virginia Tech is not a private school.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I agree with this statement! If we reduced the driving age, we'd have less deaths at 16. But that's another thread for another time.

[/ QUOTE ]

scary. lol. But that would be a fun thread!

(you must know some very sophisticated and developmentally advanced 10 year olds if you feel comfortable with them driving cars.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think theres should be any age restriction on driving cars as long as the person can prove they are capeable.

I grew up on a farm, and I've been driving trucks, and farm equipment (which, I believe, can be much more difficult to operate safely than cars) since I was about 6. In Florida, at least, there is no legal driving age for tractors, most kids who grow up in farming families start learning to drive as soon as their legs are strong enough to push in a clutch. I would say most kids as young as 8 are capeable of operating a car safely.

EDIT: Wasn't trying to hijack the thread, sorry.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've viewed the behaviour of hundreds if not thousands of college students.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many were "drunk and stupid" while in class? After all, you are talking (by your own admission) about carrying weapons AT SCHOOL.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How many were "drunk and stupid" while in class? After all, you are talking (by your own admission) about carrying weapons AT SCHOOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and of that group that show up to class drunk, how many are also members of the group of students who have concealed carry permits?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, and of that group that show up to class drunk, how many are also members of the group of students who have concealed carry permits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should they need carry permits? Isn't that just the tyranny of the state denying them the right to carry their own property?
Old 10-13-2007, 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should they need carry permits? Isn't that just the tyranny of the state denying them the right to carry their own property?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, of course. I'm trying to work within his assumptions, here, though. If I don't, everyone bitches about "AC hijacks". If I do, I get stupid posts like yours. A real no-win situation.