Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

pvn- sorry, I thought this was a serious discussion. Judging by your tact, I take it that's not possible with you.

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, are they drunk when they're in class? It hasn't been THAT long since I was in school, but we generally waited until after classes to start the HEAVY drinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

pointless blather.... nowhere did I suggest they're drunk in class. Nor is it relevent to anything I've said.

[ QUOTE ]
and you think beer = instant murder impulse

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything remotely like it. Wow, you really have to resort to some cheap tactics to try to make a reply don't you?

[ QUOTE ]
it seems that you'd want them to have the guns at the time they're least likely to be trashed, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again, your replies seem to have no relation to anything I've said. Are you having an imaginary debate in your head?

[ QUOTE ]
If more had access... what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this part was clear? There is a correlation between youth violence and access to firearms. I believe a larger armed youth population (particularly when paired with a group with increased access and use of alcohol) will lead to more needless firearm related violence.
(yes, I believe college students are young, slightly immature and more prone to irrational and violent behaviour then adults. This is, supported by studies as well but I doubt that interests you.)

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen anyone here advocate that "everyone" be compelled to carry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where did I say compelled. You really can't respond to someone without changing what someone said. Rathar dishonest.

I said, "Some people think that we'd be better off if everyone carried guns." That is not the same as saying everyone should be compelled to carry guns.

and, here's a quote from this thread: [ QUOTE ]
Most officers, myself included, prefer an armed public.

[/ QUOTE ]

This person in response to this thread said he prefers an armed public. Good enough for you?

[ QUOTE ]
No, your word choice is incredibly sloppy.

[/ QUOTE ] ironic, since you constantly add your own words and attribute them to other people.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pvn- sorry, I thought this was a serious discussion. Judging by your tact, I take it that's not possible with you.

[ QUOTE ]
Wait, are they drunk when they're in class? It hasn't been THAT long since I was in school, but we generally waited until after classes to start the HEAVY drinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

pointless blather.... nowhere did I suggest they're drunk in class. Nor is it relevent to anything I've said.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've said one of the reasons they shouldn't be allowed to have guns is because they're drunk and stupid. Then you said this thread was about being allowed to bring guns to school. I'm just putting your own scattered ideas together here. Do you deny these statements? They're right here in this thread.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say anything remotely like it. Wow, you really have to resort to some cheap tactics to try to make a reply don't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Drunk and stupid." A slur which you've freely smeared all students with.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If more had access... what?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought this part was clear?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you didn't finish your sentence.

[ QUOTE ]
There is a correlation between youth violence and access to firearms. I believe a larger armed youth population (particularly when paired with a group with increased access and use of alcohol) will lead to more needless firearm related violence.
(yes, I believe college students are young, slightly immature and more prone to irrational and violent behaviour then adults. This is, supported by studies as well but I doubt that interests you.)

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet, the facts show that those who are so inclined to violence already have guns or get them when they want them. Additional rules are basically only preventing normal, non-sociopathic people from carrying.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't seen anyone here advocate that "everyone" be compelled to carry.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where did I say compelled. You really can't respond to someone without changing what someone said. Rathar dishonest.

I said, "Some people think that we'd be better off if everyone carried guns." That is not the same as saying everyone should be compelled to carry guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since there are CLEARLY people who DO NOT WANT to carry guns, there is no way the goal of "everyone carrying guns" could be achieved without compulsion. Now, who here has said EVERYONE should carry guns? Please cite one instance.

[ QUOTE ]
and, here's a quote from this thread: [ QUOTE ]
Most officers, myself included, prefer an armed public.

[/ QUOTE ]

This person in response to this thread said he prefers an armed public. Good enough for you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fallacy of aggregation once again.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:49 PM

last post to pvn. You suffer from comprehension issues as well as intellectual dishonesty.

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Drunk and stupid." A slur which you've freely smeared all students with.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I did not say all college kids are drunk and stupid. Read it again.

[ QUOTE ]
I used to marvel at impulsiveness and the stupidity of drunken college kids

[/ QUOTE ] Note... I'm talking about drunk college kids... not ALL college kids. Obviously you don't understand modifiers.

Second... even if I said all college kids were drunk and stupid, it still doesn't explain how you magically concluded that I said, "and you think beer = instant murder impulse"

I would suggest that alcohol is a contributing factor in violent incidents, but what would the point be? You would simply pretend I said something else.

[ QUOTE ]
And yet, the facts show that those who are so inclined to violence already have guns or get them when they want them. Additional rules are basically only preventing normal, non-sociopathic people from carrying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, the study showed that when people didn't have access to firearms, they blew off their anger in less harmful ways. Even normal people who are, perhaps less emotional mature then older adults coupled with being drunk, might abuse firearms? Even non-sociopaths have been known to do things in a drunken rage. Youth have more problems in these areas then adults. And they typically have less experience with alcohol. Hence my posts where I wonder about the logic of wanting a population of youth, who happen to be characterized by heavy drinking and lack of maturity, to be armed.

[ QUOTE ]
Since there are CLEARLY people who DO NOT WANT to carry guns, there is no way the goal of "everyone carrying guns" could be achieved without compulsion. Now, who here has said EVERYONE should carry guns? Please cite one instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my original post to which you went on your sophomoric rant, I quoted someone suggesting that "People are less likely to commit violent crimes if they know that 95% of the people around them are armed."

My entire post was a response to this. If you stopped changing what I say and read the thread you'd be less confused.