Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 10:09 AM

Default Re: How do YOU respond to active 3-bettors?

Great post Michaelson, thanks - given me a lot to think about.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post Michaelson, thanks - given me a lot to think about.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-12-2007, 11:43 AM

Threaten to shortstack, and follow through. lol

But in all seriousness, please don't.

There's no easy answer to this. Game-select better, swallow your pride and find a better table. If you find that you can't avoid them, play less tables, and apply pressure back at them. I find that most people who take up light 3-betting, or try and combat 3-betting don't show commitment past pre-flop. Trust your reads, even if light, and you have to be willing to play for stacks, or you're going to get run over.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In addition, you want to have really good reads on people, beyond the big 3 stats that we all use so often here. For 3-bettors, when you get to showdown against them, take a note of what they 3-bet you with (or called your 3-bet with), as well as how they played postflop. On your hud, display numbers like flop AF, c-bet %, fold to c-bet % and raise c-bet %. When you draw up profiles of players it becomes much easier to decide how to play after the flop comes down.

[/ QUOTE ]

reads are important. As an aside, whilst many many good players will call your 3bet light and float flop very light on the flop, they tend to fold a LOT to double barrels.

EG: good lag/tag (frequent 3better, calls 3bets light and floats light in 3bet pots)opens in CO for 4BB.
SB (you) 3bets w/ AK to 12BB.

FLOP 24BB: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
you CB 18BB, he calls.

Now this will be a good spot for a double barrel on many many turn cards. his calling range on this flop is absolutely huge: 55-99, Tx, 45, some draws ( bearing in mind he'll usually push sets and AA/KK on the flop); whilst his turn calling range is tiny.

I'm sure others can find equally good or better examples. this is just off the top of my head.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Today was another perfect example - this was my first hand of my first session today. I had some mined stats on villain that read: 29/18/3

Full Tilt Poker, $0.50/$1 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

CO: $98.85
BTN: $99.85
SB: $100.50
Hero (BB): $100
UTG: $234.15
MP: $213.25

Pre-Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (BB)
2 folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $3.50</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $13.50</font>, CO calls $10

Flop: ($27.50) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $20</font>, CO calls $20

Turn: ($67.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">CO bets $65.35 and is All-In</font>, Hero folds

Results: $67.50 Pot ($3 Rake)
CO mucked and WON $64.50 (+$31 NET)

[/ QUOTE ]

Who was the villain in this one?

In general, I think people worry too much about 3-betting these days. I really don't pay too much attention to the cards when 3betting tbh. I pay far more attention to player and their frequency.

I'd add, however, that I think a lot of discussions on this board are rediculously incomplete as NOBODY EVER MENTIONS HOW THEY PLAY!!! The answer to your question about 3 betting is going to be different if you play nit or LAG. As a nit, obviously your small 4bet bluffs will be effective for different reasons than for a LAG.

Also, looking at the hand above and your calling / repoping ranges, I think you can likely put villain on that hand on mid PP turned to a bluff as your range shouldn't be too difficult to decipher for an astute player.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4-bet bluffing is just bad against most players.. Unless you shove all-in and can get him to fold hands like QJo instead of giving him the option to 5-bet or see a flop. But if they don't defend their 3-bets enough I guess 4-bettting small is a fine strategy

[/ QUOTE ]

I often make it like $68 over someones $27 3bet at $1/$2 and get tonnes of folds. No-one is shove particularly light over these in general.