Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: % winning players vs % losing players

Overseer55, you have to read my next sentence, too. that the donators don't get to play a ton of hours is why they can't have as big of an impact as we would like - unless there are a ton of donators. In the Borgata 20/40 there are a number of donators. We know who they are and they do lose several BB/hr. But, having one in the game 50% of the time is about as good as it gets. So, you either sit out a lot or accept that half the time there won't be more than 2 players at the table with a positive expected win rate.

On the point that the results of 2+2ers could plausibly be so positively skewed, i don't buy it. i know many of the 2+2ers at the Borgata. They are clearly much better on average than everyone else. They are not all winners.

On the wealth topic, i speak from the wisdom of being much older than most of you. The poker room, even the Borgata's, is not filled with wealthy people. Everyone tends to assume that big donators are rich. They generally aren't. That's why they don't play as much as you do.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:18 AM

The fact is people assume they are winning players based on too small a sample size. 1 year of results playing 10 hours a week isnt enough. Most people play poker because they believe they are winners. This year I am having my first losing year in 5 years. It has been a brutal and tough year and most of the year I blamed it on bad luck. Granted it began with bad luck and degenerated into playing horribly for a while.

During the losing I told myself "I am a winning player....yadda yadda yadda". but truth is....i wasn't anymore. Needed to make major adjustments.

In a table of 10 I think there 3-5 long term losers. 2-3 break even. 1-2 winning players who are losing. 1-2 winning players. Any more is mathematically impossible.

I encourage all to be honest with themselves regarding results. it is humbling but a necessary step in the development of you as a player.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:53 PM

Just a note on people in general: If you poll people and ask them if they are below average, average, or above average at anything, over 70% will respond that they are above average.

Most of the people who are actually below average, do not have the tools/skills/analytical ability to evaluate anyone properly, including themselves. Improvement is generally out of the question for many of these people.
Old 10-12-2007, 03:55 PM

Poker is like sex, most people think they are the great at it, even thought they don't have a clue as to what they are doing.