Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: 3/6NL. Trying to slow down superstacked LAG bully running good

[ QUOTE ]
im saying if he was deeper

[/ QUOTE ]

sry that was obvious, I'm half asleep today.

OP, you need 100 BBs to play anything, move down
Old 10-11-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
im saying if he was deeper

[/ QUOTE ]

sry that was obvious, I'm half asleep today.

OP, you need 100 BBs to play anything, move down

[/ QUOTE ]

I had bought in for 100BB and not yet reloaded.

But, let's say I had the 100BB's. Now what's the way to play the hand?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
should be moving down multiple levels if money is this much a problem cuz this starting stack is barely more than a half buy at 2/4

[/ QUOTE ]

Money is no issue-I have a 5-figure bankroll. Recently switched from LHE to NLHE and am trying to improve my gane without giving it away. NP so far at 1/2 and 2/4. BTW: In this situation I just hadn't a chance to reload. But still, I am so covered by Villain that does the extra make that much difference?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CR flop vs. this guy, call as played, fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-11-2007, 08:45 PM

Don't worry about trying to "slow him down". Yes, it may be uncomfortable to play against a good LAG but you want to actually push him further into the AGG part rather than less. See Roy Cooke's article on page 62 of the Oct 10, 2007 Cardplayer magazine. Take an opponent's weakness and exploit it.

To exploit this particular weakness I usually attempt to get a big hand and act weak (ie slowplay). This works only if the LAG loves to fire multiple strong barrels lacking actual hand strength.

Preflop your hand is pure garbage when out of position vs a good LAG. You are likely to hit a mediocre hand and be put in a pretty tough spot as you were here with reverse implied odds. I really question some other comments that if you were deeper you should call with this hand. SCs perform best when money is deep and you have position. 3 bet is probably better than a call but you do need to be deeper for that.

I don't often put myself in this particular spot, but I need a bit more info to give a decent solution. Is the range of hands villain would raise your flop bet with the same as his preflop range? Most likely not.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:40 AM

Bet/folding this is your WORST line. Vs good LAGs it's like begging to get raised off your equity. CRAI on the flop.

And yeah, fold it preflop fo'sho.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:09 AM

Even with 100 BBs, it's a somewhat dubious coldcall PF unless you're excellent post-flop. As another guy said, why do you want to slow him down? You've got position on him, just rebuy full, stay patient, and let him bluff off his chips.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet/folding this is your WORST line. Vs good LAGs it's like begging to get raised off your equity. CRAI on the flop.

And yeah, fold it preflop fo'sho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, after all the comments I'm a believer in this one. It transfers the a difficult decision from me to him.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

To exploit this particular weakness I usually attempt to get a big hand and act weak (ie slowplay). This works only if the LAG loves to fire multiple strong barrels lacking actual hand strength.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was showing pretty good reading skills in knowing when to fire again with hands like draws and middle pair against the looser players playing back at him on boards that did not offer good reasons for opponent having improved a lot, but pretty good discipline against tight ones. Very rarely stone-cold bluffs.

All-in-all, I think he is a pretty good player who parlayed some great cards and situations into other exploitable situations. In the end he had all of us thinking just about him so he had really got into our heads. Given the softness of the games available, next time in this situation I may simply move on until my own game has strengthened.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't worry about trying to "slow him down". Yes, it may be uncomfortable to play against a good LAG but you want to actually push him further into the AGG part rather than less. See Roy Cooke's article on page 62 of the Oct 10, 2007 Cardplayer magazine. Take an opponent's weakness and exploit it.

Preflop your hand is pure garbage when out of position vs a good LAG. You are likely to hit a mediocre hand and be put in a pretty tough spot as you were here with reverse implied odds. I really question some other comments that if you were deeper you should call with this hand. SCs perform best when money is deep and you have position. 3 bet is probably better than a call but you do need to be deeper for that.

I don't often put myself in this particular spot, but I need a bit more info to give a decent solution. Is the range of hands villain would raise your flop bet with the same as his preflop range? Most likely not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Appreciate the insights. Agree on the "slow-down" issue-ego and pride getting in the way of ice-cool judgment (realize I need to reread Schoonmaker as I am not mentally as tough as I need to be for NL!).

Also agree on the "call if deeper" school. And no-one gave a coherent reason-just these random opinions which may or may not be correct (but this is the price of using 2+2-you gotta wade through the chaff to find the wheat!)

Finally, re villain's range of hands after my flop call-truth is, I have no real idea, although given that he is no a simple maniac it's a reasonable assumption that he had something, but it absolutley could have been a draw, a set or an overpair.