Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Weatherman

One of my friends used to sell Doppler storm-tracking systems for Barron Services, have you ever heard of them or does your your station use their system? Have any good stories from live shots or on-location broadcasts?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:57 AM

So this in no way irritates you'?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=89mEJXU00...ed&search=
Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 AM

Nice thread

Do you ever recieve death threats or get a pissed off look from your boss if the forecast is crappy?

Do family memebers call you up and ask "hey hows the weather over there?"

part B - do they ever really call for forecasts

Have you ever predicted something first or more accuratly then other people (like say a super duper snow storm that really is just going to be a flurry or Noah and his ark will be floating past anyminute when others called for a sprinkle)

When you look to the sky and see a cloud do you go "Hey that looks like a bunny!" or "Hey thats Altostratus!"
Old 10-12-2007, 09:24 AM

You should change your name to something weather like. For example

Lance Storm, Kip Wind or Max Raine

Trust me, it would help you get that job at the big stations. Your current name is just way too long and complicated. Do it!
Old 10-12-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) since we can't control the weather, why worry about it? If it's cold, wear a jacket. if it's cloudy, bring an umbrella. if it's hot, wear shorts. What's the BFD?

2) why do markets like palm springs where it's perpetually the same temperature with no humidity and rains like 2x a year have weather people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much the way I think too. I need to know the weather ahead of time very seldom. I always find it weird when people are hovering around the tv/internet to see if it is going to be cold outside, umm step outside and see. Then I get the argument, "what if it is cold later and you don't have a jacket"? The only time this is going to matter is if I am outside for a long time like at a football game or something, otherwise I am outside for the 10 seconds walking to my car, then inside my comfy car w/ the heater, then outside for a few seconds till I get inside to wherever I need to go...this is much different for walking cities such as NYC though--I was wearin' my jacket yo. But for driving cities I find it ridiculous.

I also don't really care about rain, I don't ever carry an umbrella they are a pain in the ass. Once again, I have used an umbrella a few times in NYC but that is different. I see people in driving cities park 15 feet away from the door of the place they are going into and they are knocking crap around in their car trying to open up an umbrella, they spend minutes trying to open this thing to walk across the street just so they can close it again--seems silly to me. I just hop out and jog across the street but maybe I am weird.

This is actually a good thread but I still don't watch the weather--doesn't seem like it is going to tell me anything useful unless there is a tornado or hurricane and in that case every channel is interrupted and I am going to know anyway.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My name is Ari

[/ QUOTE ]

"yes, the name rhymes"

You're just doing this to drive traffic to your bio, aren't you? Part of the master plan to move up in the weather world?

Srsly, how's the "exotic food" in West Central Ohio?
Old 10-12-2007, 10:51 AM

stephanie or paula?

ever had this happen to you while on the air? (cockroach attack)

btw good thread. i liked the dylan response.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:03 AM

What's the Spritz nipper this week?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:09 AM

tdarko,

You know it has been proven that you will get more wet running through the rain than if you just walk?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:30 AM

1) Did you have any involvement with Weather Central while in Madison? (This is a data and graphics company that supplies equipment to television stations around the country.)

2) How many students were in your graduating class at Wisconsin?

3) How did you find this first job in Lima?

4) As you move along in a television news career, what type of arrangement do you have with your wife on the decision making?

5) Are there any co-workers in Lima that have been there a very long time, unable to find that next job and move up the ladder?

6) Have you ever heard any industry talk on the future of television news? I am referring to the internet and vod changing the way people get news, especially weather forecasts any time of the day or night.

7) When all your co-workers say in their bio how much they love Lima - what percentage of them are flat out lying?

8) How would you say you are different from other meteorologists with your level of experience?