Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 05:25 AM

Default Re: mandatory mental health evaluation for gun-rights supporters

[ QUOTE ]
Gosh, on reading the topic I thought some sanity was lurking back into the darkness and silliness of USA. But it seems to no amount of evidence and shooting of innocent people is gonna get through to the gun nuts! They are just impervious to the evidence! Completely deranged imo, LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Midge, Your posts are the greatest, but please consider:

Americans love firearms. If I wish to purchase a pistol undetected by the government, all I have to do is consult my local newspaper and purchase from a classified advertiser. Everyone here in Idaho owns firearms and home robberies and murders per capita is quite low. Please peruse the sports and fitness portion of my local newspaper. Any gun on any given day that you want to buy, you can, without any sort of registration. Nobody cares here about gun registration because violence is quite low.

Fitness equipment including colt 45's and rugars

edit - Idaho is 43rd to last in States with violent crime per capita.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:32 AM

Hiya yuconcpa,

I have nothing about people that like firearms. I am 100% behind gun control and especially availability of guns to those that are deranged or go on tilt too easily.

The place for a gun is in a sports club, not in the home, and definitely not on one's person, and all that with the proviso that they have not got psychological problems which would let them fly off the handle too easily!
Old 10-12-2007, 05:42 AM

It is IMPOSSIBLE to legislate away bad behavior. Hasn't the past 200 years of history of this country, not to mention the past 2000 or so years or more of other societies taught u that yet?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and you had me all the way up to here:

[ QUOTE ]
[And, to go even further, I'm not even comfortable with the idea of sharing a campus with someone that feels he should be able to carry a gun around.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

too bad there werent a few "gun toting conservative rednecks" in the building when virginia tech got shot up this summer..... perhaps they could have saved lives

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I'd feel much safer walking around Philadelphia if I had a gun. And I don't blame any student (college or otherwise) for wanting to have a gun at his side after what's been going on the past years in this country.

People are less likely to commit violent crimes if they know that 95% of the people around them are armed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The US has a disproportionally high number of murders per capita, almost twice that of any comparable western nation. This doesn't imply that US gun laws leads to more murders , but it does imply that they don't lead to less murders.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everytime I read one of your posts I end up on full blown life tilt, no joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heya Taso, given most of your posts I am really glad that we have differing opinions.

For your information, when I read your posts, or most of them, I only feel like smiling at your naivety. It doesn't put me on tilt at all, seriously! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche. :P
Old 10-12-2007, 05:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The place for a gun is in a sports club, not in the home, and definitely not on one's person,

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, Midge, sorry for just taking a portion of your statement. Much of what you say makes sense, but consider that in Switzerland, each male member of the household that has gone through military training, up to the age of 30 must carry in his home a machine gun. Violence is Switzerland is almost unheard of.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:00 AM

OK yukoncpa,

I am sure that every recruit in the army has had a psychological assessment, and, as you said, proper training.

On top of it, my bet is that there are a lot less lunatics in Switzerland, per head of population, than in te USA! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On top of it, my bet is that there are a lot less lunatics in Switzerland, per head of population, than in te USA!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, I concur.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:16 AM

lol, you're the man.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Gosh, on reading the topic I thought some sanity was lurking back into the darkness and silliness of USA. But it seems to no amount of evidence and shooting of innocent people is gonna get through to the gun nuts! They are just impervious to the evidence! Completely deranged imo, LOL

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice. This news item is actually let-down for you, because the thread title seems like a much better idea! In Midge's ideal world, political disagreement with Midge is punishable by forced hospitalization and analysis.

Let this be a warning to everyone -- people like this do exist and clothe themselves in the mantle of the compassionate, reasonable left!