Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Re: sheets\' sng videos on pokerxfactor....poor advice???

[ QUOTE ]

Last point: He is basically saying when its folded around the table, you should raise hands like A2,A4,K9, etc, etc from the SB because its a HU pot and an Ace is strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of top SNG players do stuff like this.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:36 AM

Depends on opponent I guess. I will occasionally raise a rags, k9+ vs tight opponents who don't think I steal very much at all mid game. I don't think completing at 50/100 bvb w/ a5 is bad at all. Anything worse than that like k6, j8, q7 etc I would just muck. You're right about it being a bad idea to tell beginning or average players to play these marginal hands and take flops w/ them.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Last point: He is basically saying when its folded around the table, you should raise hands like A2,A4,K9, etc, etc from the SB because its a HU pot and an Ace is strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of top SNG players do stuff like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe? At the high levels you might need to extract value from these kind of hands. Also you would need to be able play very well post flop to profit from them.

But what are these videos geared for? Beginners to semi-experienced. Advising beginners to play raise those hands is just bad advice i think simply because those beginners cant play postflop or can't let go if they hit a piece.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:43 AM

Well most of his videos are from high stakes games so while they are supposed to be instructional you should realize that aren't made as a guide to beat the lower limits. That's kind of like watching a sbrugby vid and trying to play like him at 50nl.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:45 AM

A lot of the things in the vids I've watched don't necessarily work too well in low limit sngs against random villains but at least he gives ideas you should think about. And imo that's more important than him or anyone else showing you exactly how to use sngpt or other stuff that's easy to do yourself. So while I do agree that he does weird stuff sometimes (and it's not that often) I don't mind it too much since I don't have to take those things into my game.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:52 AM

sounds like you need some low buy in sng videos to show you the way. from the newt buggs and beanmo references I assume you've visited donkit.com. they post good vids if thats the way you like to learn, id revisit them for more good vids by certain STTFers [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2007, 02:52 AM

Sheets does/says weird things for weird reasons in his vids, that being said his core advice is good and if you're interested in sngs not watching the vids is a disservice, just realize you cant just copy every move and expect it to work. Imo its pointless to be raising the trash hands he recommends at times, but it really doesnt matter and I take away things from his vids
Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sounds like you need some low buy in sng videos to show you the way. from the newt buggs and beanmo references I assume you've visited donkit.com. they post good vids if thats the way you like to learn, id revisit them for more good vids by certain STTFers [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] How do I know if it's worth it or not =0.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:55 PM

Sheets videos are some of the best instructional tools on the market, bar none. He does pretty well analyzing most situations.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] How do I know if it's worth it or not =0.

[/ QUOTE ]

my mom bought it. reason enough?