Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 03:05 PM

Default Can I Travel With...

4 flatscreen monitors in my carry-on? Sometimes when I travel with my laptop they make me plug it in to show that it works.

Assuming that I can get them in a backpack and briefcase, will they let me get through security with them?
Old 10-09-2007, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Can I Travel With...

[ QUOTE ]
4 flatscreen monitors in my carry-on? Sometimes when I travel with my laptop they make me plug it in to show that it works.

Assuming that I can get them in a backpack and briefcase, will they let me get through security with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

TSA may want you to remove each one and put each in a separate bin, but you should have no problem otherwise.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:51 AM

I assume you mean domestically? Because otherwise you're probably not going to convince customs that they're for personal use.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:17 PM

I carried two flatscreens on a plane once. It was a domestic flight. I didn't have any problems, but they were in separate bags. How do you plan on carrying four monitors without damaging them?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:57 AM

So, I successfully transported all four monitors from Seattle to Vegas. I took two monitors, put them flush to each other, both screens facing in, and used saran wrap to secure them together. This protected the screens very well. I then both pairs and placed them in a garment bag, and took that as my carry-on.

I took some extra saran wrap with me in case they made me take them apart at security. They didn't, I just had to remove them from the bag. I ended having to remove one of the pairs on the plane in order to get the bag to fit in an overhead bin, and I placed the other pair under the seat in front of me.

Over all, it worked out well, except lugging around that bag was unbearable.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM

How big are these monitors? I'm having trouble imagining them fitting in something that would fit in an overhead bin.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I carried two flatscreens on a plane once. It was a domestic flight. I didn't have any problems, but they were in separate bags. How do you plan on carrying four monitors without damaging them?

[/ QUOTE ]

how did you do this with two? can you put up pictures or a link to the bags you used?

[/ QUOTE ]

I did this with two 20" 204b's. I put them in small duffel bag type bags with blankets and cardboard for protection. Each one had its own bag and i was able to fit one in the overhead bin and one in my lap/under the seat in front of me.

To do this with 4 of those things would've been impossible.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How big are these monitors? I'm having trouble imagining them fitting in something that would fit in an overhead bin.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can unscrew the base from the monitor pretty easily. So when they were wrapped together they were maybe 7 inches thick or so.

I used a garment bag, so I put one pair near the top and the other near the bottom, zipped it up, then folded it over. I used shirts and pants as padding. When I went to try and stuff it in the overhead, it was too thick by less than 2 inches. It might have fit if I tried really hard, but I didn't want to risk a stewardess telling me I had to check it, so I pulled it down and removed one of the pairs, which fit nicely under my seat.

It would have been nice if I could have put them in two separate carry-on bags, but I didn't have anything available that would have worked, and this was kind of a last minute plan, so I didn't have a chance to go out and buy something.