Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Alain Silberstein

[ QUOTE ]
$75 Fossil, highly recommended. I'm pretty sure you could drop 300 million in lottery winnings on me right now and I still wouldn't spend 4+ figures on a watch

IT'S A [censored] WATCH

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine. You probably spend money on something I wouldn't. Considering I wear a watch 24/7 (except in water), I'm prepared to spend a lot of money on a nice watch. If it was something I only brought out on occasion, I wouldn't. But, considering it's practically a part of my arm, I'm happy to spend.

It's like with golf. Putting takes up approx 30-36 shots for your average player. That's almost a half of the shots. But it wasn't until about 10 years ago that people really started spending on putters. People were much more inclined to drop $3/400 on a driver, something they only use approx 12 or 14 times a round.

[ QUOTE ]
So what are your guys thoughts on replicas for those of us less baller types? That TAG replica someone posted up there looks awesome to me. If you were going to buy a replica where would you buy it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess there's nothing wrong with it. With some replicas it's hard to tell. What would I do? If I had only $150 to spend or something, I'd probably go and get myself a nice swatch watch or something before I get a replica. Again, personal preference.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:23 AM

GoldenIP,
Recently I purchased a Breitling Chronomat Evolution (retail 13.3k) but have since soured on it. What are my options as far as resale/tradein? I was to get a Chrono-Swiss, what do you think of these?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what are your guys thoughts on replicas for those of us less baller types? That TAG replica someone posted up there looks awesome to me. If you were going to buy a replica where would you buy it?

[/ QUOTE ]

the major problem with replicas is the watch is usually poorly made and for obvious reasons you dont get a warranty.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:31 AM

why the hell are all these watches so expensive? i would pay like 2-3k for some of these, but all the ones i want are $20k to 200k wtf?
Old 10-11-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why the hell are all these watches so expensive? i would pay like 2-3k for some of these, but all the ones i want are $20k to 200k wtf?

[/ QUOTE ]

combination of materials, design, craftsmanship, and exclusivity.

steel is cheap, platinum and gold are not.

more complicated movements require more skill and time to produce.

as with many luxury items, a smaller production run means demand vs supply pushes price up.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:36 AM

pateks are so nice but RIDICULOUSLY overpriced... my god 60k wtf -

anyways ill be posting a pic of my new watch when the FPP store sends me my new digital cam.

got myself an antonius watch (super avenger with custom 1.3krt VVS diamond bezel) black with white dials with leather band that im killing to show off ;D
Old 10-11-2007, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry peeps. Been really busy the last 24 hours. I'll do my best to respond.

lsaw2 - J-LeC are typically a bit too delicate for me. I like a real mans watch. Not saying they aren't, they are certainly a good affordable watch, just not my personal style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only asking because I was bought a J-LC for my birthday but had never even heard of them. I'm interested how they are seen compared to rolex etc

I really like the look of those IWC watches, they are quite similar to the J-lC that I got. Very minimal.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:38 PM

Ahh good thing I don't care what watch enthusiasts think [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] As far as the quality of a Cartier watch what specifically do you not like about them? Again, I am far from a watch expert, just curious to what is not right with them other than they are made by a jeweller. The black IWC Portuguese is really nice but double my price range. Given the watches I posted, what watch would you recommend in the 5k range?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ahh good thing I don't care what watch enthusiasts think [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] As far as the quality of a Cartier watch what specifically do you not like about them? Again, I am far from a watch expert, just curious to what is not right with them other than they are made by a jeweller. The black IWC Portuguese is really nice but double my price range. Given the watches I posted, what watch would you recommend in the 5k range?

[/ QUOTE ]

IWC makes many nice watches in the $5 range including the Ingenieur, which I think is awesome.

The Glashutte Original Senator chronograph looks kinda similar to the IWC Portuguese and is less than 5k. Beautiful watches for the price.

You can also get a few Jaeger LeCoultre master compressors in that range.

I'd just go to one of the major online watch sellers (like The Luxury Bazaar) and rummage around until you see something you like.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:13 PM

Golden IP, how do you feel about watches with brown leather bands? I often wear brown leather shoes/belt at work and therefore feel that I should match accordingly with the watch. Any thoughts?