Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Calling station man...

<font color="blue"> Ok, so, calling station to the left. Folds around, i pick up a good hand. Lets bring it in.</font>

Full Tilt Poker, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

BB: $12
UTG: $5.85
CO: $11.40
BTN: $19.85
Hero (SB): $10.50

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (SB)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.80) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)

<font color="blue"> Ok, so i missed and i'm OOP and this IS a calling station, but at the same time, there are some good cards that can hit the turn.</font>

<font color="red">Hero bets $0.80</font>, BB calls $0.80

Turn: ($2.40) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)

<font color="blue"> I'm not stunned i got a flop call at all. Anyways, i picked up the nut flush draw on top of prob having two live overs. What do we think of my bet size?</font>

<font color="red">Hero bets $1.50</font>

<font color="blue">Ok, if he raises, short of a mini raise, i think we have to fold i figure. If he calls and i miss all my outs, making a river bet prob a bad choice.
If i DO hit one of my outs, how much do we bet the river here? He's a calling station, but i don't think he'll call anything like a shove if i hit the flush.
What do we think? </font>

Question one: Do we like the flop bet againts a known calling station?
Question two: do we like the turn bet here?
Question three: Do we like the size of this bet?
Question four: A plan for a raise (or mini raise)
Question five: Plan for the river A or K/Flush/whiff.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Calling station man...

bet flop bet turn (this guy probably floats a lot and the Jclubs is good card to double barrel on/scare card + outs). if you hit an A or K c/c to induce bluff if you hit flush bet big cuz it was backdoor.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:57 PM

<font color="blue"> Ok, so i missed and i'm OOP and this IS a calling station, but at the same time, there are some good cards that can hit the turn.</font>

Good cards that can hit the turn? I dont really know what you mean. Like alot of good cards for you to bluff with? Or as in an A or K might come? Alot of cards that could help him if he's behind?

Regardless if this dude calls cont-bets alot but isnt likely to bet himself than you should check. This is a classic case for value betting him to death when you have a hand, and playing a small easy pot when you dont.

<font color="blue"> I'm not stunned i got a flop call at all. Anyways, i picked up the nut flush draw on top of prob having two live overs. What do we think of my bet size?</font>

See above about him being likely to call. I think your turn bet is good. You might be ahead and hopefully can check it through on the river if you miss. It allows you to make a bigger bet on the river if you hit.

<font color="blue">Ok, if he raises, short of a mini raise, i think we have to fold i figure. If he calls and i miss all my outs, making a river bet prob a bad choice.
If i DO hit one of my outs, how much do we bet the river here? He's a calling station, but i don't think he'll call anything like a shove if i hit the flush.
What do we think? </font>

If he raises its just a matter of the implied odds of getting him all in when you get your flush. So it depends on how much he raises.

If he just calls and you hit your hand (A,K, [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) I'd bet half his stack and call any raise.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Good cards that can hit the turn? I dont really know what you mean. Like alot of good cards for you to bluff with? Or as in an A or K might come? Alot of cards that could help him if he's behind?

[/ QUOTE ]

What i mean is, he prob has a weak holding, and i've prob got 6 solid outs.

Do we not like c-betting calling stations with overs?

I like it for a few reasons.
If i have to check/fold a turn, he will continue to try and float (call down light) so when i hit big, i can hike the heck out of the pot.

If i do hit, and he was holding hard to a hand like, 77 or something, if a king hits, he may feel like he should keep calling because he made that first call (that happens a lot at this level).

Plus, even a calling station will fold some percent...even if it's only like 15-20%.

Plus, there is a large percent of the time i'm ahead and he's calling down with overs, maybe even a hand like KQ.

Calling stations are funny. Hitting top pair is like hitting a set againts a good player.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 PM

I don't like the pot bet on the flop. .50 or.60 will do the same thing.

Turn I think I might c/c since my hand improved but I don't want to face a raise.

as played you would have to look at the odds being offered if he does raise and make your decision based on that. Since they are a calling station then you need to factor in some implied odds if you hit as well