Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2006, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Longest Time You went W/O a Hand At a B&M

I tried moving up to 10-20 at the Mirage in Las Vegas and could count the number of hands I played in both sessions, dropped two buy ins over like 10-12 hours. One of the sessions I dropped like $315 out of $500 in blinds alone. And I was not folding winners. Near the end, I managed to split a pot 3 ways with my QQ versus Q-J and Q-10. Not good.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not getting a hand is a blessing. What if you went the same amount of time with only second best hands? Then you would really be crying. Getting dealt huge draws and big pairs that get cracked is much more expensive and frustrating than simply folding junk.

Being card dead is an opportunity to test your discipline and it seems you failed. I, like an earlier poster, blame it on the Internet but if you are going to continue to play live, this is a leak that needs fixed.

This is the only game I know where second place is worse than last.

[/ QUOTE ]

Extremely well put.

q/q
Old 03-10-2006, 10:54 AM

Excellent point.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:13 PM

When it seems like I'm not getting any playable hands I will start counting how many hands in a row I get dealt without taking down a pot. I've hit 117.
Old 03-10-2006, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When it seems like I'm not getting any playable hands I will start counting how many hands in a row I get dealt without taking down a pot. I've hit 117.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. 11 orbits without a win is like 330 hands or so?

I was a rock once at the Bellagio; card dead for hours, and at one point didn't play a hand for 2 complete orbits. Got pocket queens and raised. The drunkest, LAG at the table who had played every hand looked at me, (we had been playing together for hours) "When did you get here?" He and everyone else folded.

It's pretty bad when the drunk LAG respects your raises.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow. 11 orbits without a win is like 330 hands or so?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played 30 handed, but I suppose it's possible. That would need to be a damn big table.

117 hands is only 13 orbits at a 9 handed table, or about 3 1/2 to 4 hours without dragging a pot.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:25 PM

I remember folding 43 hands in a row at the Borgata 6/12. I know because after I made it three orbits I started announcing every time I folded what the new count was. Then when I finally picked up a hand and raised from MP, I only got four callers. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2006, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then when I finally picked up a hand and raised from MP, I only got four callers.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd ask for a table change. ;0)
Old 03-10-2006, 08:04 PM

I once had a 12 hour session where the best hand I saw was pocket nines and there was no such thing as a limp-in or W w/out SD. I think I saw the flop maybe 10 hands the whole night when not on a blind. My nines ended up getting cracked by quad 5's.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:01 PM

My down swing is over. You can all sleep well tonight. Thanks for all the feed back, it did help weather the storm.

Just in case you want to know how I broke it.

I was playing some 3/6 no fold'em hold'em at Fandangos in Carson City when a friend, at 10:30 pm, comes up with the idea of going to Reno. Two other guys at the table chime in that there are alot of tourneys and cash games at the Reno Hilton ending with the WPT filming. I am down $100 so I say what the hell. Three of us pile into my car with another in tow and off we go.

Got on the list at midnight for 4/8 with a full kill and sat in the 2/4 until called. Down another $6. Not much going on at the 4/8 except for the guy picking fights with the dealers for not hitting him with the deck. I have kidded with the dealers I know about this, but this guy was serious. He left with a huff and the game broke shortly after. I went to the other 4/8 table to find my 3 friends already there, 2 pretty well lit. I folded almost all my hands but was well entertained by my friends whistling at a middle age women dancing at a slot machine. They of course were calling and raising crap, so they had large chip stacks, go figure. All were having fun and laughing, even the pro kid from vegas (maybe) and the traveling dealer next to me, when the party pooper sat down. Just because my friends were showing each other their cards he got all huffy. We called the floor over and the guy wouldn't shut up. So he got kicked out. My friends weren't cheating, they were just drunk having fun at 5:00 in the morning. Everyone else at the table didn't have a problem because they saw it was stupid drunk fun, but this other guy wanted to make a million dollars playing 4/8 at 5am with a table full of drunk tired players. Go figure. He ruined the game so we left to go back to Carson City. Fun drive in the snow and wind while nodding off at the wheel at 70mph. The ultimate gambool.

Being the metropolis that it is, the largest card room in Carson City doesn't open until 10am so we had breakfast. When it did open the fun started. I won a pot, then another and another. I was up like $50 when all the cash games broke to play in the Sat. morn. tournament. Did I mention this is the largest card room in Carson City. Anyway, all the players in the poker room, (20 of us)play the $25 tourney. I bust out 2nd when my friend goes all in with KK and I call with QQ. In my defense I was awake since Fri. at 6am, thats 28hrs. I wait for others to bust out and we get a cash game going. My friend got 1st with the chips I gave him and I didn't get a cut. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I played my normal 3/6 game and my hands held up. I started getting more aggressive and I still kept winning. At 6pm they get a 4/8 1/2kill game going at I am still winning. The 1/2 kill is any pot over $60 so it is almost a 6/12 game. I can't loose. Then they fold to me just because I bet. I get KK like 9 times and win. AA once and lose. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I played till 1am Sunday, 29hrs of cards but awake 43hrs and win $950. The biggest haul I have ever gotten at these limits.

I have played since and the cards are running average, thank god.

If you haven't gone through it or are in the middle of it, down swings suck but don't last forever. I really did listen to what you guys posted and it kept me playing correctly.

Thanks again,
Scott2130