Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 09:20 AM

Default When to call a session quit (LC)

I want to preface this by saying that my sessions are shorter during the week due to work and other commitments and so I only get to play for about 1-2 hours during the week.

I was pondering this yesterday when I was playing.

For the first 100 hands my hands actually held up. I wasnt getting great cards, but when I did they all held. I was running at like 14BB/100. My stats were somethign like: 24/10/1.7.

For the second 100 hands I was completely card dead and my stats dropped down to 20/9/1.6.

My BB/100 obviously dropped down to around 5BB/100 overall and I decided it was time to call it quits for the day.

My question is whether I should have kept going or was I right to stop??

I know schnieds has said that he feels his shorter sessions have kept him away from big downswings and it was really my feeling that as my cards started to go south, that quitting allowed me to avoid overplaying or trying to outplay people with bad cards.

So what do yall think?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Re: When to call a session quit (LC)

Schnieds plays in games where running bad will make him a target, which might lead to frustration and tilty play. So, he avoids it by quitting when he's running bad at a table. Those things don't matter for us. People are too unobservant in small stakes.

Whether you should quit is all about you. Assuming you're at a good table, you should play as long as you think you can play well. If you start opening up too much, folding too much and generally stop playing your best game, then you should quit.

Sometimes though, a game might look good on the surface, but it's actually not. You should always re-examine the game texture.

Sometimes a game looks good, but I keep losing and have to rebuy a couple times. I generally leave those games because I think it will start to affect my play at some point.

Know this though. Whether someone wins or not in a session is mostly luck.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:55 AM

The best time for me to quit is when I make a mistake. Too often I don't get up and end up tilting off dwelling on the previous hand.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The best time for me to quit is when I make a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I did that my sessions would all be 5 minutes long. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I did that my sessions would all be 5 minutes long. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

5 minutes? You must be pretty darn good haha...Im sure I make a play within 5 hands that would warrant me leaving.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For the second 100 hands I was completely card dead ... and I decided it was time to call it quits for the day ... and it was really my feeling that as my cards started to go south, that quitting allowed me to avoid overplaying or trying to outplay people with bad cards.

So what do yall think?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an OK line to take but is most probably -EV. You will get cold decked for a lot longer than 100 hands. For that matter, I wouldn't even consider 100 hands being cold decked. For example I am on 4,000 hand streak where I am at -.6/100. What do you do at that point? Stop playing for a few weeks?

My point being I think you are much better off trying to figure out how to stop playing poorly when you get cold decked than just giving up because of it. Your play you can control, the cards you are dealt you can not. Don't let something beyond your control dictate your playing.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5 minutes? You must be pretty darn good haha...Im sure I make a play within 5 hands that would warrant me leaving.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I make an obvious mistake I should leave, but usually stay. I'm trying to remove all of the obvious mistakes though. Most mistakes are close though and I see no reason to leave.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:57 AM

haha I was just messing with you. I wouldnt expect you to leave.

I do realize what you all are saying though. Maybe I should have kept playing just to get the hands in. Who knows.

Husla...More than likely if I was playing and felt like I wasnt runnign bad that day, I would quit and wait till the next day to start up again. I realize you cant control the cards, but repeated bad cards can affect your mental state.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quit when I make a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-11-2007, 12:50 PM

mistakes are ok (bad calldowns or whatever, sometimes hard to assess anyways) so long as I don't start dwelling on them too much

when I find myself thinking too much about beats or mistakes I stop playing because from there it is a short trip to RAGING BANANA MONKEY TILT