Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Play poker for a living? Doubt it. A great hobby to have though.

lol fish
Old 10-11-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd say something quick and biting like "quit poker and get a job"... but I play poker for a living and dont suck at it... so that wouldn't make much sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big deal. If you are making it then stop thinking you are the [censored] and contribute something. Look at sbrugby, makes millions, and keeps a sense of giving back to those who are trying to make it.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This post made my head hurt.

Ten hours a day playing online poker (or any poker for that matter)? Day in and day out? I'd kill myself (and others) if I had to do that.

If you can't beat NL50, you aren't very good. It's just that simple. That's not to say you can't improve, but you're naive to think you should be able to make thousands a month if you can't profitably play at this level.

And, as others have said, if you think LHE has less variance than NLHE, you're wrong in the head, brother. I can't even play LHE anymore because of the swings. It's a great game, but it's too nerve-wracking on me after the relative control I've found playing NLH.

I do tend to agree with your final conclusion, though. For the average (or even somewhat above-average) player, there are lots of easier and less stressful ways to make a good living than playing cards. There is nothing wrong with being a hobbyist -- playing the game for a living is definitely only for the few (and the masochistic if you ask me). I made peace a while ago that I can't do it, just like lots of folks couldn't do what I do for a living. Playing poker for a living requires a very specific skill-set, just like any other job. I probably can't do theirs, they probably couldn't do mine. That's what makes the world work.

[/ QUOTE ]

You made peace a while ago that you cant do it? Didnt quite understand your post? Did you quit playing for a living or not?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do any of you that are berating him win past 50 nl for more than 1-2 bb / 100 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What an arrogant reply. Big fakin deal. Help those who are trying to do the same then. I play Div 1 tennis with a fakin scholarship and I probably beat the shet out of you at tennis because I have been playing it for like 15 years and I dont act that arrogant when someone asks me for help on tennis. Poker players are so naive, amazing.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
stfu guys. Even if he's only breaking even during that period he's doing better than 85% of the players. He tried something and it didn't work out, good job by OP to realize he should keep poker a hobby and hopefully make a few extra bucks on the side.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats true, but the problem with OP is, and many posters like that, is they try these experiments and then make claims that nobody can win at poker...in other words they are saying, "since I am great and cant win, then poker cannot be beat..."
Why not just admit, Im not as good as i thought...or, many players are better than me...
And, dammit, get a job..play poker, establish winning, then retire, if thats your choice.
The best is when he points out SBrugby winn9ng 3 mill and losing 2 mill, im okay at math, i think thats up one million..not too bad. People need to realize, that as a skill game, some have it, some dont. Some are bad, some okay, some good, some great! Thats how it is...admit it to yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best online player lost 2/3 of his winnings and you come up with some bullshet that some have and some dont. Are you on crack dude?
Old 10-11-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You just have to be a consistent winner, but even then the swings are ridiculous. You can tell from your comments you are very inexperienced at the game. Your jumping from bonuses, to NL, to limit. You dont seem to grasp that poker is ALL about wins and losses. Nobody wins every day...its just that the days we win add up to more than the days we lose. 600 bucks? thats nothing, but you cant go from NL to 2/4 limit and expect to win right away. Even experienced players are rusty when they come back....
Play for fun...life is stressful enough...if losing 600 bucks in two days hurts, forget about playing for a living....you could have losing weeks or months. But, the idea is the wins and losses should balance out if your good nad youl just break even. If you're a great player, you'll come out ahead. If poker was beatable by anybody and everybody, nobody could win.
BTW, I dont play for a living, but i do play as my part time job...been doing it for 11 months, and Ive had 3 of those months Ive finished down!!! Thats just how it goes!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the kind of posting that should be allowed. Trust me I understand that losing is a part of the deal its just that when you work so hard, downswings are just fakin depressing and makes you wonder if the game is beatable.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This post made my head hurt.

Ten hours a day playing online poker (or any poker for that matter)? Day in and day out? I'd kill myself (and others) if I had to do that.

If you can't beat NL50, you aren't very good. It's just that simple. That's not to say you can't improve, but you're naive to think you should be able to make thousands a month if you can't profitably play at this level.

And, as others have said, if you think LHE has less variance than NLHE, you're wrong in the head, brother. I can't even play LHE anymore because of the swings. It's a great game, but it's too nerve-wracking on me after the relative control I've found playing NLH.

I do tend to agree with your final conclusion, though. For the average (or even somewhat above-average) player, there are lots of easier and less stressful ways to make a good living than playing cards. There is nothing wrong with being a hobbyist -- playing the game for a living is definitely only for the few (and the masochistic if you ask me). I made peace a while ago that I can't do it, just like lots of folks couldn't do what I do for a living. Playing poker for a living requires a very specific skill-set, just like any other job. I probably can't do theirs, they probably couldn't do mine. That's what makes the world work.

[/ QUOTE ]

You made peace a while ago that you cant do it? Didnt quite understand your post? Did you quit playing for a living or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't play for a living. I don't doubt that I have the skill to do it (I certainly am not good enough to play nosebleed stakes, but I could (and have) definitely beat midstakes NLH games online and live).

What I lack is what most people lack to be able to play for a living. I lack the will to grind hours a day, I lack the kind of emotional distance necessary to plow through the prolonged and brutal downswings that are inevitable with variance, and I cannot completely divorce myself from the value of money. In short, I don't have the temperament to gamble for a living. It takes a special kind of person.

Remember, there are (at least) two components to being able to play professionally -- one part is skill (which many on the 2+2 forums have), but the other is discipline and emotional toughness under financial extremity. Don't have that. And if you're freaking out over $600, you probably don't either. It's no knock on you -- not everyone is sick.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:18 AM

Fak amirite?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do any of you that are berating him win past 50 nl for more than 1-2 bb / 100 ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

What an arrogant reply. Big fakin deal. Help those who are trying to do the same then. I play Div 1 tennis with a fakin scholarship and I probably beat the shet out of you at tennis because I have been playing it for like 15 years and I dont act that arrogant when someone asks me for help on tennis. Poker players are so naive, amazing.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol a question was asked and he answered it in about the least arrogant way possible, wtf is your problem?
Old 10-11-2007, 02:43 AM

I did in fact start the same way as this post, but luckily before long I was able to make some pretty good money by beating some decent limits for a good clip. Grinding 10 hours a day bonus whoring is a bit of a grind, but it was fun. It is a lot more fun to play and beat some bigger games thouh I can say that much.