Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Limping on the button

limping on the button
When and why would this be done?
Sklansky talks about it as a good strategy against two inferior players with a hand like J 9s because it "plays well after the flop"
Thoughts?
Old 10-10-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Limping on the button

overlimping is one thing, open limping on the button is sortve weird. ive read that durrrr does it but in ssnl games, i think raising is much more optimal.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:34 PM

I don't do it at all. The best place for it that I can think of is if both the blinds are really aggro and you have a big hand. Basically limp with the intention of raising.

SMS
Old 10-10-2007, 02:42 PM

i dont think its worth doing in cash games at all. i remember Brian townsend did it in a CR video and his reasoning was because the SB was so aggro that if the player raised his limp he could call and get in the same spot as if he had 3bet him, but with a much smaller pot (or somthing like that). but i don't this is great either because it lets him be the aggressor and take it down most times postflop, unless you raise the flop alot to make it worth while. just my thoughts anyway

i used to do it in sit n goes tho when the blinds were fairly big, u could quite often open limp the button and take it down when checked to you on the flop. it costs u alot less chips. i was more of a donk back then though so i dont know how great this stratagy really is lol
Old 10-10-2007, 03:12 PM

I assume you're referring to open limping on the button? I can see limping behind other players with some hands, but I can't really see open limping on the button, except for very rare situations.

I think the situation you're referring to, regarding Sklansky, is that if one or two of the blinds is ridiculously short stacked. The point being that J9s is too good to fold in that situation, but you don't want to raise it against a short stack. If they push over your raise, you may be priced in to call when you're almost always behind, and if they simply call, that still leaves you in an awkward spot on the flop, as a CB against a shortstack isn't fun.