FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would You Participate in a weekly Prison Break discussion
Yes 21 77.78%
No, I watch the show but wouldnt participate 4 14.81%
No, Don't care! 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Stars VIP Wild speculation

I didn't know about the pink hair thing. But yes, Gavin won the Monte Carlo event which Stars naturally trumpted of course. I believe he qualified for the event via Stars.

So it's a nice thing for Stars of course. How beneficial exactly I don't know. But it's not even close to Moneymaker levels I wouldn't think.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:53 PM

Ok this now has turned into a "where should any additional/freed up money be allocated to" debate. My feeling on that is that while the top end could do with tinkering (maybe changing some of the milestones around a bit) and certainly it makes sense to keep it because it surely keeps more high rake payers playing it absolutely also makes sense for Stars to focus on the lower end of the spectrum, simply because there has to be something of a big 'wow factor' draw accompanying getting to 100k vpps.

Simply put while many players can imagine getting to standard nova, not many could or would imagine getting to the really high numbers being talked about here - remember that they don't need to make it for it to benefit Stars they just need to go for it. Tell a moderately active casual player look what amazing things you can get with 600k vpps they'll most likely say "so what I haven't got a chance in hell of getting that many", I think that 100k seems a lot more achievable so at the end of the day having something which seems worthwhile there is likely to positively impact the amount people play more which is ultimately the whole point of the promotion. To that end I still like the monthly sunday million ticket idea
Old 10-10-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't know about the pink hair thing. But yes, Gavin won the Monte Carlo event which Stars naturally trumpted of course. I believe he qualified for the event via Stars.

So it's a nice thing for Stars of course. How beneficial exactly I don't know. But it's not even close to Moneymaker levels I wouldn't think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I admit that had it been somebody new to me I probably wouldn't know who won. But I know of Gavin. He actually posts here sometimes.

Absolutely nowhere near the Moneymaker thing. But the EPT isn't even close to the WSOP. One option (that most players would probably take) is a seat in the WSOP in lue of the EPT. With the steadily decreasing American dollar, Stars will probably remove the $18,000 EPT package (or whatever it is these days) from the options (and they probably should).
Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok this now has turned into a "where should any additional/freed up money be allocated to" debate. My feeling on that is that while the top end could do with tinkering (maybe changing some of the milestones around a bit) and certainly it makes sense to keep it because it surely keeps more high rake payers playing it absolutely also makes sense for Stars to focus on the lower end of the spectrum, simply because there has to be something of a big 'wow factor' draw accompanying getting to 100k vpps.

Simply put while many players can imagine getting to standard nova, not many could or would imagine getting to the really high numbers being talked about here - remember that they don't need to make it for it to benefit Stars they just need to go for it. Tell a moderately active casual player look what amazing things you can get with 600k vpps they'll most likely say "so what I haven't got a chance in hell of getting that many", I think that 100k seems a lot more achievable so at the end of the day having something which seems worthwhile there is likely to positively impact the amount people play more which is ultimately the whole point of the promotion. To that end I still like the monthly sunday million ticket idea

[/ QUOTE ]

There's still over a million dollars in the budget for promotions for the smaller SNs. There's actually more if Stars chooses to increase it this year to match the increased Novas/site traffic/rake than they had a year ago.

I'd love to hear suggestions for promotions for the smaller SNs that include the "wow" factor.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:02 PM

The added multiplier isn't much. Max of $4025 for a first time SN+ and Max of $8050 for a returning SN+.

I think the major cost is the extra $12k tournament.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:05 PM

xmbs's post is pretty much what I was thinking. It's great for me the way pokerboy outlines it. But right now you've got a lot of people who are in the 100k-200k range who already feel they are left somewhat in the cold because they don't get all the cool stuff at 300k+.

And you even have some SN's who are kind of bitter that they aren't getting as much as before. They don't care about going for much higher than 100k. Their only concern is whether they even want to go for 100k again...and if Stars cuts that then they might hit the road.

But, as we've mentioned before, I don't think the current freeroll structure is exactly getting all these players so excited so as to jump through hoops to make it to SN in the first place.
So perhaps the number of lost players by taking away from the SN's to give to the SN+'s woudln't be too significant.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The added multiplier isn't much. Max of $4025 for a first time SN+ and Max of $8050 for a returning SN+.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is way off.

A returning SN+ makes 750,000 VPP the following year. His multiplier is 4 instead of 3.5 So he gets an additional 375,000 FPP. They are worth .015 (Supernova bonus rate). 375,000 * .015 = $5,625.

But also consider that SN+ is now making $1500 less in milestone bonuses.

Altogether, SN+ gets an additional $4,125 in FPP value under this plan. I don't think that's a whole lot extra considering that Stars already said they were going to look into a slight increase in milestones between the 500k-1m mark. IMO this part of the plan they were probably going to do anyways.

So the only thing they would be adding (that they might not have planned on yet) is the 12k seat. And I'm saying that between the freed up money from the freerolls AND the marketing aspect of a Stars player in a major live tournament, this should be covered.

Make sense?

EDIT: I think you are awarding the multiplier at 500k instead of the 750k mark I set it at.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Microbob-

Some other things to consider is that (unless I'm mistaken) Stars owns the EPT. So it is certainly in their best interest to promote that tour as much as possible.

While the EPT is not nearly as big as the WSOP, it is probably in their best interest to try to make it such.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:21 PM

Yes I am. I thought it was 500k. It makes a lot more sense then since that also addresses the issue of something to look forward to between 600k and 1M to look forward to.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Their only concern is whether they even want to go for 100k again...and if Stars cuts that then they might hit the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is still $$$ to run promotions for the casual Supernovas.

This may include bonuses, freerolls, or seats to some of the major live events (won via freerolls or drawings or whatnot).

IMO Stars should run a different "extra promotion" each month instead of having weekly freerolls. This might maintain the interest of a lot of players who are doing 100k but not much more.