Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: QB
Tom Brady @ MIN 6 75.00%
Drew Brees vs. BAL 2 25.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-04-2007, 07:30 PM

Default Re: Live 1-2 NL: AA facing flop shove - call here?

[ QUOTE ]
Where do you play in SD toxzen? I already know where Sammy donates his money regularly. J/K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borona, Syquan, Viejas. Mostly borona as of late. I like taking SDSU students monies.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1) continues to be laughable how the internet multitabling nits rip on live players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, I'm actually a live player. I play 1/2 NL in AC around 20-25 hours a month. I don't play online anymore because any limit that I find meaningful (so say above .25/50) I'm a break even or losing player. Its partly because I play worse online and partly because the players are a whole hell of a lot better.

If you don't see the truth of the statements that average live players are significantly worse then average online players you honestly haven't played very much poker in either place.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 PM

Just to add a fun story. About a month ago I was playing 1/2NL and a middle aged lady sat down beside me. She bought in with 60 $1 chips and proceded to tell us how she was just learning poker. She wasn't joking, and I frequently had to explain rules to her. One hand she was UTG+2 it was folder to her and she raised to $70. Thats right, there was $3 in the pot and she raised to 70. Thats pretty bad you say, except she was then called by AJs.

I think its pretty rare that you'd see something like this at 1/2NL online, but its not all that rare live (well its usually not 70, but raises to 20X the BB no longer surprise me, nor do subsequent calls with weak hands).

Oh, the horrible lady ended with around $300. Poker can be so cruel.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:46 PM

Reraise preflop with more hands. At least reraise hands like AK/QQ-AA. You don't need to reraise with many more hands than that to prevent having to virtually play your hand "face up" whenever you reraise.

In this case, you have position on the initial raiser, he probably has a good hand, and your goal should be to get heads up with him in a nice, big pot with a failry low SPR. You might even run into a guy who will push with AK/QQ-KK.

As played, I think you should push. The pot is just too big, and button's stack is too small, and the caller behind you might be on a draw or 1-pair as often as something better.

There are occasions for being tricky with AA, but this isn't one of them. The preflop raiser is in EP, so he probably has a good hand more often than not. So he will probably want to play rather than fold when you rr - giveing you a lower SPR to play with position post flop for a big pot, heads up, with aces.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:29 AM

Just curious, how much would you raise PF? (There's $18 in the pot - blinds and UTG's $15)
$40 feels about right to me, but I'm pretty sure I'm only getting a call from JJ+, AK, so most of the time I win $18. I guess this is inevitable, and I'm starting to believe that 'aces win small pots and lose big ones' line.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:57 AM

40 looks good, and again I think your range is quite tight. I was playing 1/2 live and was in this same situation facing an UTG raise and I had AA to his left. He made it 10 I made it 35 and 68c came along and flatted for 35 on the button. Luckily UTG shoved with AK which got rid of 86c but people will still call 40 with garbage, many pairs which they think they can play for set value when 1/4 of their stack goes in.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Where do you play in SD toxzen? I already know where Sammy donates his money regularly. J/K.

[/ QUOTE ]

Borona, Syquan, Viejas. Mostly borona as of late. I like taking SDSU students monies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I used to play at Sycuan frequently, but lately have been primarily playing at Palomar.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
More importantly, than the answer to this question, is the answer to why: "if I reraise here, I might as well turn over my cards."

Seriously, if you only re-raise preflop with AAs thats a huge leak in your game and fixing that is way more important then how you play this hand on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:19 PM

Live players will call with a wide range of hands, draws, and overs! A8 suited is a monster here!