Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Multi-platform games - 3 System Showdown

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gears of War (third person), Condemned (first person but not a shooter), Dead Rising, etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

i own all 3...... gears is ok but its a shooter...condemned isnt that good imo... and dead rising is a solid game.

however i expect ps3 games to be more complex due to the fact blurays have almost double the space

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't you think that maybe the developers are using the extra space "b/c they can?" Unless a game has an excessive amount of video/music/dialogue, I don't think it should NEED more than a DVD9. I mean look at what they are doing already with that. Halo 3 is under 7gb, and if I remember right Gears of War didn't take the whole disk either. Someday maybe, but not in this generation of games.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gears of War (third person), Condemned (first person but not a shooter), Dead Rising, etc etc

[/ QUOTE ]

i own all 3...... gears is ok but its a shooter...condemned isnt that good imo... and dead rising is a solid game.

however i expect ps3 games to be more complex due to the fact blurays have almost double the space

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't you think that maybe the developers are using the extra space "b/c they can?" Unless a game has an excessive amount of video/music/dialogue, I don't think it should NEED more than a DVD9. I mean look at what they are doing already with that. Halo 3 is under 7gb, and if I remember right Gears of War didn't take the whole disk either. Someday maybe, but not in this generation of games.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol within 2 years games will be coming out that use close to a full bd-50 just wait and see....btw gears is a 12 gig game i believe
Old 10-09-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[ QUOTE ]
The extra storage space can allow for more detailed game assets (mostly textures and models I imagine

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope.

[ QUOTE ]
lol within 2 years games will be coming out that use close to a full bd-50 just wait and see....

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe, but only if they are super-epic games or they fill the disk with lots of FMV cutscenes and such.

The assets that you see in the game are always going to be limited by the RAM, not the data on disk. If having more disk space really allowed for more complex games, then PC games would already be taking advantage of it with multi-DVD games that use like 100 GB of hard drive space.

Arguably, a normal DVD drive actually allows for more in-game content since the read speed is marginally higher than the PS3's blu-ray drive - higher read speed means that content can be streamed in faster.

Blu-ray will only really be used by either epic games (that would otherwise require you to switch DVDs throughout the game), games with a ton of cutscene movies, or games that ship with a full movie on the disk (like the upcoming stranglehold special edition).

The reason that sony put a blu-ray drive in the PS3 is so that you can watch blu-ray movies on it.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:04 AM

You "can" waste massive amounts of space on 'regular' game assets. Eg - Heavenly Sword decided to go with uncompressed audio in 11 different languages to use up 10 gigs, in audio alone, for a 7 hour game.

I'm just waiting for the first game that wastes gigs upon gigs using high-res 3d textures for no reason other than the sake of doing so and claiming gaming innovation. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 02:38 AM

"For core football fans, however, you’ll find a stronger game of pure football in Madden 08 for 360, as it’s one of the best Maddens in years. The Wii version is still a great game, it just suffers from a few key “last generation” downsides, and that’s something that simply can’t be tolerated."

That's what IGN had to say about the 360 vs. Wii Madden. It's the closest thing I could find to a direct comparison Nicohlas.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You "can" waste massive amounts of space on 'regular' game assets. Eg - Heavenly Sword decided to go with uncompressed audio in 11 different languages to use up 10 gigs, in audio alone, for a 7 hour game.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny part is that despite the massive amounts of storage, usually the data is compressed anyway to improve throughput from the drive (so it loads faster).

You make a good point about localization, though - being able to press just one disk for all different languages is a nice perk of blu-ray.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, this whole "which console is better" thing is so unbelievably stupid and nerdy. This thread is retarded because multiplatform games should be irrelevant in choosing a system. If you really care whether the quintuple buffer paleostropic antialiasing buffer is better on the PS3 COD4 than on the 360 one, then you need to get a life.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say nerdy like its a bad thing...
Old 10-10-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If having more disk space really allowed for more complex games, then PC games would already be taking advantage of it with multi-DVD games that use like 100 GB of hard drive space.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are plenty of games that take up huge amounts of storage, it's just installed on your machine, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. When I installed Doom 3 it took 6 GB, and if I had 1 GB of ram, but only a 5 GB of storage it wouldn't work. It doesn't necessarily mean games will be better, but games can be bigger and longer and can have many more options w/ more space. Ignoring space constraints is ignorant.

Space Issue in context to GTA IV

Enchanted Arms

Another

Yeah, so I was looking at what the restrictions are (how much space) and found the above articles. It is an issue. They have 9GB to work w/ as opposed to 30+ on the PS3.

Of course there are plenty of people saying that this won't be an issue (Dire?), and there are plenty of sites to support it, but I'm just putting it out there that some developers are having difficulty w/ cross platform games.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ignoring space constraints is ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not ignoring them, and they definitely can be a factor - I didn't mean to imply that it was totally useless.

People badly misunderstand what the impact is, though. More storage means that UT3 can ship with more map levels for sure (although it makes me wonder just how big those damn map files must be). It doesn't mean, however, that those map files can use higher-res texture.

The total amount of content in a game can be limited by disk size - assuming the developers don't want to ship on multiple disks. The total amount of content that is on-screen or active at one time, though, will always be limited by the amount of RAM.

In terms of the minute-by-minute effects on gameplay, the guarantee of a hard drive on the PS3 means much more than the extra space on the disk.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In terms of the minute-by-minute effects on gameplay, the guarantee of a hard drive on the PS3 means much more than the extra space on the disk.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, pulling from different sources is indeed faster. As far as graphics processing for the most part PS3 = 360. They have their quirks, but the rendering is done excellently on both. So that being equal space would then become an issue, unless you want to compress the DVD version or come out w/ two DVD's (if even possible, which it isn't for a game like GTA4 which is completely open ended), but you lose speed through decompression or have to change discs which IMO is the lesser of two evils.