Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Asshole?
Yes! 23 74.19%
No! 8 25.81%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: I don\'t feel like waiting until tomorrow night- NFL POWER RANKINGS

TN is a hard team to figure out. They beat a good Jacksonville Def in week 1, lost a close game to the colts in week 2 (and were a first down away from having a shot to win it), killed a very bad NO team in week 3 and barely beat a bad ATL team in week 5.

Its hard to ignore their 3-1 record, but they need more consistent play on offense to be considered a top 10 team. I feel TN and WAS are more or less the same, you never know what you're really going to get.

As far as VY goes, look, I'm a Titans fan, and I wanted the Titans to draft Leinart over Young. I thought VY was overrated in college, had a bad throwing motion, yada yada yada..... but the bottom line is that the dude just wins football games. Yes he makes bad decisions. He's also a second year player in his first full year as a starter with no consistent running game (Chris Brown and Lendale White, are you kidding me) and receivers who would probably be number 3's anywhere else.

They will be fun to watch but until I see them start to gel on offense, I can't say they're #5.

-AA
Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 PM

Someone explain to me how "just wins games" != "has a good defense."
Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone explain to me how "just wins games" != "has a good defense."

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, "Just wins games" could = "has a good running game" or "has an easy schedule" or "has good coaching" or "is a luckbox." So it's not necessarily = "has a good defense."

Stick with the easier forumula: "Just wins games" = "I don't know what I'm talking about"
Old 10-09-2007, 03:01 PM

It's pretty clear that the entire team stepped up huge when VY took over, especially the defense. "Just wins games" is probably as good an explanation as any. VY himself has been great though. I was as big a doubter as any, but he's gonna be a star for years.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:04 PM

Art:

NE -5 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-09-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Art:

NE -5 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, 97% me being wrong and 3% last nights game (or vica versa)
Old 10-09-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Detroit is ranked 18th in DVOA and 23rd in Sagarin, so no, beating Detroit doesn't help Philly much. What does help them is the massive margin of victory. Despite being 1-3, Philly has a positive point margin for the season because of that game, which is why their DVOA/Sagarin rankings are higher than you would expect for a 1-3 team.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that the other reason they have a positive point spread is that they haven't been blown out in any of their losses, which is another good indicator for the future.

I know we went through this last year, but again, if the Eagles don't muff one or two of those punts against GB, they are 2-2 instead of 1-3.

Does that make them a better team: No
Would Assani place them higher in his rankings: Yes
Old 10-10-2007, 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Detroit is ranked 18th in DVOA and 23rd in Sagarin, so no, beating Detroit doesn't help Philly much. What does help them is the massive margin of victory. Despite being 1-3, Philly has a positive point margin for the season because of that game, which is why their DVOA/Sagarin rankings are higher than you would expect for a 1-3 team.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that the other reason they have a positive point spread is that they haven't been blown out in any of their losses, which is another good indicator for the future.

I know we went through this last year, but again, if the Eagles don't muff one or two of those punts against GB, they are 2-2 instead of 1-3.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure this? Good teams don't make costly mistakes. Yes, I definitely drop teams down in my rankings when I see them making stupid errors, and yes I do believe that makes them a worse team than if they didn't do it.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure this? Good teams don't make costly mistakes. Yes, I definitely drop teams down in my rankings when I see them making stupid errors, and yes I do believe that makes them a worse team than if they didn't do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
You really think things like muffed punts are good predictors for future success? Let's say GB had driven down on the Eagles and scored a couple of those times instead of taking advantage of the field position. Are the Eagles just as good of a team in that scenario?

Or think of it this way. The Eagles are now probably less likely to muff a punt the rest of the season than most teams in the league.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait... What?

Is Dallas no longer good because Tony Romo threw fourty six interceptions?

Oh... wait... they still won the game. Therefore, they must be good, because according to you, good teams find ways to win close games.

But what if that field goal missed? Would they no longer be good because it was a costly mistake?