Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Watch Out For Ron Paul

OK, so they may not be tried but they may be detained indefinitely?

I guess it's just not clear why you would want to have the ability to define and label an american citizen an unlawful enemy combatant at all if you weren't going to use that in some way.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the gel thing really up to the airline?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. I don't agree with many of the policies of airlines, long before the gel thing came about, so I haven't used commercial flight in years and years.

They set the policy on their stuff, I don't like it, so I don't use it. I don't feel I am entitled to use their stuff under my own conditions.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
" When the people are afraid of the state, Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I'm not afraid of the state." - Average American

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't believe you.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is the gel thing really up to the airline?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea. I don't agree with many of the policies of airlines, long before the gel thing came about, so I haven't used commercial flight in years and years.

They set the policy on their stuff, I don't like it, so I don't use it. I don't feel I am entitled to use their stuff under my own conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is more that if it's a government policy, then it's a whole other can of worms.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so they may not be tried but they may be detained indefinitely?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, american citizens may not be detained indefinately.

Habeas corpus...for about the 732nd time.

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it's just not clear why you would want to have the ability to define and label an american citizen an unlawful enemy combatant at all if you weren't going to use that in some way.

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't define and label an american citizen as enemy combatant.

They defined "enemy combatant", and made no distinction as to it's determination being based on citizenship, because on it's own...the term can apply to citizens and non-citizens.

Similar to the definition of a "criminal". A criminal could be defined as someone who breaks a law, and no distinction is made regarding their citizenship.

But if I wanted to make a law against only those from other countries, I would define "criminal" and "alien", and then in the text of that law, refer to those it applied to as "alien criminals.."

Back to the MCA...which, for the purpose of the of the bill, right there in the text, plain as day, they then attached "alien" in front of it to define the applicability of that specific bill, refering to "alien enemy combatants".

Stepping back for a second...

An american citizen can be labeled an enemy combatant if they meet the definition. But they cannot be labeled an "alien enemy combatant", and thus, the MCA is not applicable to them.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is more that if it's a government policy, then it's a whole other can of worms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it also bother you that other people's children can't bring guns to school?

Not equating guns to gel, mind you, but I'm just curious to where you think the line should be drawn in your right to carry whatever you want onto other people's property, despite their request otherwise.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

An american citizen can be labeled an enemy combatant if they meet the definition. But they cannot be labeled an "alien enemy combatant", and thus, the MCA is not applicable to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

So all they have to do is revoke your citizenship. Shouldn't be that hard to do. I specifically remember hearing something in passing about that recently on the news. Can't seem to find it now.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since theres a little Ron Paul discussion still going on here, quick question for you guys, just to clarify something for me so I don't give people wrong info about Ron Paul.

Does he favor legalizing all drugs? Just marijuana? Or no drugs at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe he favors letting the states decide what to do, which is in perfect accordance with the 10th amendment.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it also bother you that other people's children can't bring guns to school?

Not equating guns to gel, mind you, but I'm just curious to where you think the line should be drawn in your right to carry whatever you want onto other people's property, despite their request otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no right, if they request it. But when someone else who is only tangentially involved... I'd have to think about it but my natural starting point would be no restrictions, and work from there.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
" When the people are afraid of the state, Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I'm not afraid of the state." - Average American

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really true.... ecspecially on April 15th every year.