Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Bribing People

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If Syrian prisons have Internet access then do this. I think a trip report on what happens to an American in a Syrian prison would be a good read.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they have internet access but lose power intermittently during the genital electrifications.

[/ QUOTE ]

Acceptable. I'm willing to endure some downtime for this probable Pulitzer material.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel that the risk outweighs the reward on this one.

Surely a fair percentage of border guards would love to turn in a smart alec American, for no other reason than to big note himself. I'd be copping the wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it seems that way, but the wait is so agonizingly boring. Not only that, but i dread the thought of it for days before it happens. We'll see. If I have the balls/stupidity to go through with the attempted bribe I'll give a breif trip report.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:32 AM

I wonder if it would be less risky and more effective to "bribe" them with gifts rather than cash? Maybe try bringing a bottle of wine/liquor next time and offer it as a gift.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if it would be less risky and more effective to "bribe" them with gifts rather than cash? Maybe try bringing a bottle of wine/liquor next time and offer it as a gift.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or a Menorah!
Old 10-09-2007, 10:54 AM

Say no problem, walk back to your car and pull out a big stick of Marlboro's. Peel out a pack, open her up, take out a ciggie and start puffing away. Then reach into your car and pull out the lastest issue of whatever American hawt girlie magazine is the best right now. Leaf through that for a bit. Then take a swig of that expensive scotch you've got in there.

Any more questions?
Old 10-09-2007, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone with this level of understanding is likely not a person who is giving good advice. LOL at bribing a likely Muslim with alcohol.

I think the risk outweighs the potential reward for an American. If you were Syrian or carried a passport from any other country, then a bribe would def be in order (albeit obv unneeded).
Old 10-09-2007, 11:48 AM

Ask a trusted Syrian acquaintance what amount of bribe would be appropriate. When you get to the border have this amount folded in your hand with only a small portion of the tops of the bills visible. Try to speak to the guard in charge of processing you alone. Say the following:

'I am familiar with the usual process for obtaining a single entry visa but I've heard that there is now a new, expedited, entry visa available for an additional fee that can be paid here. Is this true?'

Simply hand over the money in a handshake if you are told yes. If they screw you and you STILL have to wait 6 hours do NOT ask for your money back.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On another note, I'm absolutely delighted to see US citizens getting screwed over by other countries' border control.

[/ QUOTE ] Clearly you should just run across the boarder and join the other 12 million illegal aliens and expect the Syrians to welcome you with open arms. I vote no bribe needed.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:03 PM

So the chick in Beirut, what's her name?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:03 PM

My two bribe stories, each centered around my Dad:

1. My Dad used to own and train thoroughbred race horses at a bush league track. A friend of mine, who liked to play the ponies, was thinking it might be fun to own a horse or two, and asked me to ask my Dad for a ballpark number regarding expenses.

My Dad started, "Well, first of all, you have to grease the Racing Secretary to get a stall in the barn area..."

That was all he needed to say to bring the conversation to a halt.

2. Dad got out of the horse business--the ulcers were killing him. He bought a dump truck, and started a trucking business. Once he had two or three trucks, he wanted to use them in the winter as well (a season that sees very little construction in the northeast), so he put snow plows on the front, and tried to get a contract with the state, plowing the highway during/after snow storms.

One day, he handed me an envelope, told me it was a "birthday card", and asked me to drive down to the parking lot of a local restaurant. He told me to wait there, and somebody would come by to pick it up. As I was putting on my shoes to go, Dad made a phone call, telling someone, "I've got an envelope for you, I'm sending my son down to XXX's now, he drives a green Dodge Charger..."

I only had to wait 5-10 minutes before some old guy pulled up alongside. I handed over the envelope (which felt a little thick to be a "birthday card", and that was that.

A few days later, my father celebrated getting the state contract.

Not long after that, I learned that the Highway Department's local office was right around the corner from that restaurant.