Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 02:54 PM

Default when is it safe to be TABLE BULLY?

Just curious how big your stack is when you decide to pull the trigger on everyone else (raising suited connectors UTG, raising A-10 oop, calling a nit's raise w/ 55, etc). I always find that when my stack hits about double the average stack, I start making some aggressive moves that only work for about 1 or 2 (ussually only 1) levels before people start to get really anxious/impatient with my raising. At this point should I just only play strong values? Or keep on keeping on?

so if you could post the approximate 'M' that you have when you start becoming the captain, and how you approach your opponents when they adapt, I would appreciate it!
Old 10-08-2007, 02:56 PM

Default Re: when is it safe to be TABLE BULLY?

Do I have chips? Will he fold too much? Then I'm bullying him.

I might calm down with a decent-but-not-large stack in order to sniff out big expected value situations to get a bigger stack, but I typically ramp up my aggression with smaller stacks and larger ones.

I've frequently told people who have bullied away a few chips from me and dropped me under 10 M, "You're going to like me a hell of a lot less with a shorter stack."
Old 10-08-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious how big your stack is when you decide to pull the trigger on everyone else (raising suited connectors UTG, raising A-10 oop, calling a nit's raise w/ 55, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

This all has little to do with my stack depth and more to do with my position at the table and the players at the table.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:06 PM

Exactly - to start raising with questionable hands might loose your stack-lead very quickly.

When my stack is much larger, than everybody else's - 3 times bigger and more - I usually loose up my starting requirements somehow - but not too much. position is much more important than the stack-size alone, and to raise low SC from UTG and fold to a later push, can cost you very much by loss of image.

Exception is big stack on the bubble - there I am very liberate at setting medium stacks all-in.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:22 PM

M irrelevant for me...buy in and table dynamic...also blind chnage speed...once blinds get high I get aggressive any spot I think I can take down pre...