Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: AC turned off - Can I do anything?

i would first call the landlord and ask him what his intentions are w/ the AC. tell him that you are sure he's aware of the unusually hot weather right now and wanted to make sure the ACs were kept on until the weather was back to normal for the season.

if he's not agreeable to that and depending on how important it is to you, id probably talk to the other tenants in the apartment complex and write him a letter signed by as many tenants from the complex about the issue.

IANAL but the line in the lease is so vague by saying "depending on weather" that it's really not much good. who determines that? right now the landlord does. and if you decide to sue him over it will be a few months to do so. in january a judge will rule in your favor and order him to turn the AC on but it be in the 50s (or 20s or whatever temp it is where you live).

oh, and by AC i guess you mean window units which he's going pull them out of the apartments.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought this was going to be a thread by Borodog's wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
Old 10-06-2007, 10:19 PM

IANAL, but I'm pretty sure you're screwed. It was in the contract.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:43 PM

I don't understand why landlords or management companies set up leases/utilities like this. The whole idea seems completely retarded to me. Different people are going to consume different amounts of oil/electricity/gas. Why package utilities with the lease and control how much of them tenants can use rather than just letting everyone have their own accounts with the utility company. Also, an $80/month utility budget is pretty ridiculous. I've lived in a few different places and my total electric/heat bills were always well over $80/month. Do these landlords/companies get some sort of huge bulk discount from the utility companies or something? My average utility cost is probably like $130/month during the summer and $250+/month during the winter.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why package utilities with the lease and control how much of them tenants can use rather than just letting everyone have their own accounts with the utility company.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, not every multi-unit property has separate meters/burners/heat pumps/etc. for each apartment. In other words, everyone gets their heating/cooling from a centralized unit, with no way to determine how much energy any particular apartment is using.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:42 AM

get a cheap window AC unit (they're probably on wicked sale now) and keep on using it... they provide electricity year round, and AC until october. Just provide your own AC using the electricity provided by them.

getting all the other tenants to complain sounds like way too much work...
Old 10-07-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
get a cheap window AC unit (they're probably on wicked sale now) and keep on using it... they provide electricity year round, and AC until october. Just provide your own AC using the electricity provided by them.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't work either. It's illegal in most states to put in your own AC for insurance purposes in case it falls and hits someone. Believe me, I tried it once. I had an eviction notice within 12 hours of putting it up.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't work either. It's illegal in most states to put in your own AC for insurance purposes in case it falls and hits someone. Believe me, I tried it once. I had an eviction notice within 12 hours of putting it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get one of the freestanding portable air conditioners. They are a bit more expensive, but they do the job. Plus, if you buy it used, you can probably sell it for nearly the same amount when you are done with it.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:13 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! I ended up calling the office, the manager, and writing a letter to the owner. In the mean time, I filled a garbage can with water and bags of ice underneath a fan, which worked fairly well.

As of today, they caved and the AC is back on! I am very happy and un-sweaty. Thanks again guys!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are most likely laws in place that state the temperature can't be allowed to get higher than a certain degree. Check with your city.

[/ QUOTE ]
I dunno about allowing temps to get to high, but in Chicago there are definately laws about letting the temp get too low: at least 68 degrees during the day, 63 degrees at night.