Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: A Third Option

This was later stated in a letter to Rob Sherman, written by C. Boyden Gray, Counsel to President George H. Bush:

"Your letter of December 19, 1988, to President Bush has been referred to me for reply. As you are aware, the President is a religious man who neither supports atheism nor believes that atheism should be unnecessarily encouraged or supported by the government. Needless to say, the President supports the Constitution and laws of the United States, and you may rest assured that this Administration will proceed at all times with due regard for the legal rights of atheists, as will as others with whom the President disagrees."

As I stated earlier I would not have been able to support Bush Sr. if he wanted to use his presidency to enforce his belief on that issue, but from that letter it seems clear that he always intended to follow the Constitution even hough he disagreed with it on some parts. As I still think it is a very insensitive (and wrong) thing to believe it is less important as it was something he never intended to implement while President.