Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Things It took me a while to learn part 2, Position

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, this post highlights the huge range in play at the buy-ins this "Small Stakes" forum covers. You try and of the raising range mentioned from the button in a $55 game, and you'll lose your chips PDQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to hear from some of the high stakes guys on this point. My impression was that Bond was speaking for himself, i.e. what he plays at high stakes. Or was I mistaken?
Old 10-07-2007, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, this post highlights the huge range in play at the buy-ins this "Small Stakes" forum covers. You try and of the raising range mentioned from the button in a $55 game, and you'll lose your chips PDQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd love to hear from some of the high stakes guys on this point. My impression was that Bond was speaking for himself, i.e. what he plays at high stakes. Or was I mistaken?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bond mentioned in an early post that he had been playing more SSMTTs.

But FWIW, I doubt that raising really wide on the CO and Button is going to get you killed in a $55.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But FWIW, I doubt that raising really wide on the CO and Button is going to get you killed in a $55.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will do in the Crypto ones I play (at Euro times). Seriously. By far the most profitable play here is to raise 3x from the Button or CO when you are in the vulnerable-to-a-re-steal range but you've got a hand. Wait for the SB or BB to fire back at you with air, and your 99 can get you a whole host of chips.

This may not be the case later on when playing the Americans.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Great post Bond. Have a few questions.

Say the BB/SB start 3betting our button/CO raises.

Do we simply tighten up our range? If so then how much tighter should our range be?

Also, how do we know that it is a re-steal as opposed to them holding something strong?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the blinds start adjusting with 3 bets you're going to have to slow down and tighten your raising range.

If the guy is habitually 3 betting, just open raise most hands your fine to 4 bet with.

As far as knowing if it's resteal/real hand, one clue i can give you is that a ton of guys with monsters will do something obvious like 3 bet 2.7X out of position, or 3 bet a nominal amount when their stack is way more appropriate to shove.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:47 AM

I don't agree with this. I usually like to 3-bet, but I like to flat call when I can't 3-bet push and when I am being priced in in the BB.

If you flat call, you always have the option of checkraising the flop.

I think the problem is that people play passively preflop and postflop, but I don't see that position is such a big disadvantage that you can't flat call a small raise in the BB with a lot of speculative hands.

I posted more about this in HSMTT.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

When it comes to playing in position, I think a lot of people on this forum can go even looser than they realize. At the point the antes kick in, anytime it folds to me on the button, assuming the blinds aren’t in a situation where I have very strong reason to suspect they’ll shove, I’m raising an absolute ton of hands.

To give a rough idea of that range, assuming lets say, 30 BB stacks for myself and the blinds would be: 22+/A2o+/43s+/65o+/any two cards 8 and above. T7s+

If stacks were roughly the same and it’s folded to me on the CO I might likely raise a very similar range, though drop a few of the holdings like off suit connectors, T7s, a few of the unsuited ace rags.

When you raise a very wide range like that people in the blinds will start adjusting, however most bad players will adjust by just trying to call more than 3 bet, since as my GF puts it, “3 betting is scary.” Make sure to pay a lot of attention to which players are capable of adjusting with resteals, which adjust with more flat calls, and which just continue to nit it up. Verse people who won’t 3 bet pre, just keep raising your full range since even if they flat call you OOP you should be able to extract a major edge post flop.

When playing this kind of very aggressive style in late positions you should be C betting a lot of flops, though there are a number of flop textures that hit a villains cold calling range so hard that you should check behind. Consider that most semi sensible villains cold calling range in the BB is hands that contain cards 9-A.

So say you get a flop like QT8 after raising 55 on the CO. On a flop like this, villain will have connected enough that your continuation bet will be called or raised an absolute ton so checking behind often becomes optimal. Flop textures to be more cautious on are things like:
QJx, QTx, 89T, 89J, KJ9, JTx, 9Tx, thing’s of that nature.

Hopefully this helps clear up some ideas of position. I’m not sure how much further to elaborate here, but if people have questions or specific areas they’d like to see further explanation on, as always, just ask.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you are raising this loose from the button with this shallow money isn't easy for the blinds to 3-bet you or checkraise allin on the flop. With 30-40xBB, a checkraise allin on the flop often works better than a 3-bet preflop.

I really don't think position is such a big advantage with shallow money. The point is to play aggressively from both late position and the blinds.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:16 AM

If I have a stack size that is not right for a 3-bet push, then I am going to flat call in the blinds a lot against a late position raise, rather than 3-bet preflop and fold to a 4-bet. I agree in this situaiton position is a big advantage, but you can't just get run over because you are OOP. So sometimes I 3-bet and sometimes flat call.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:27 AM

Bond - the hands a player plays is a matter of style. However, to anyone learning how to be good, your range is too wide. I would not recommend playing AJ against a good EP raiser, or KT against a good LP raiser.

To anyone looking to get good/tricky- Call w/54s instead of KTo.