Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 10:12 PM

Default NL:10, time to lay down KK?

Villain was 81/7. I figure he'll call with any ace. When an ace hits the flop and you're holding KK, is this sound play?

Full Tilt Poker, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 9 Players
LegoPoker Hand History Converter

CO: $1.85
BTN: $6.80
SB: $3.65
BB: $5.20
Hero (UTG): $7.20
UTG+1: $11.50
UTG+2: $7.95
MP1: $4.85
MP2: $2.25

Pre-Flop: K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, 5 folds, BTN calls $0.40, 2 folds

Flop: ($0.95) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, BTN checks

Turn: ($0.95) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.70</font>, BTN calls $0.70

River: ($2.35) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $1.50</font>, Hero ??
Old 10-07-2007, 10:15 PM

Default Re: NL:10, time to lay down KK?

No. I see a spade draw which was played as a spade draw.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:18 PM

Bet the flop. Value bet turn and river.

With those stats he's probably calling with a 10 or any flush draw. You have to call river; by checking you've given him the chance to bluff. This is sooo often a busted flush draw against a calling station like this.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain was 81/7. I figure he'll call with any ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

is that a joke? he's calling with any ace, any king, any queen, any suited cards... I think he's basically calling 1 raise with anything on the button.

please bet this flop to see what he does. (bet any flop, because most of them missed him)

When the flop checks through, you've said you have no ace, he's said he has no ace.

his flat call on the turn clearly means he doesn't have anything he wants to build a pot with, which is way way out of character for someone fishing for aces and getting one.

Without some sort of read that he slowplays top pair, you're absolutely calling this river bet. You probably should have valuebet the river in the first place -- the only way to justify it is as inducing a bluff. You know, we can raise here, he looks so weak and we've underrepresented our hand.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:19 AM

love the flop check / turn bet. :\
Old 10-08-2007, 03:34 AM

What made you decide to check on the flop? Did you think you were behind and that's why you didn't bet on the river as well?
Old 10-08-2007, 03:39 AM

How can u even think about checking this flop????
Old 10-08-2007, 12:10 PM

Scheister and gedanken, thanks for the constructive feedback. I've been getting slaughtered a lot recently with KK by players making AA on the flop. This is only reenforced by the fact that I've had a great run with AA, against villains holding KK a good chunk of the time. So with KK and a flop with an A, I'm becoming conditioned to slow down. I guess I need to unlearn my tendency to be gunshy.

(Happily, shortly after this hand, I got KK again on an A K x flop against a player eager to stack off with AQ. It was an easy call.)
Old 10-08-2007, 12:33 PM

Don't check the flop, bet 2/3's and see where your at, you gain no info by checking. He may well just have the queen and think he is good but by not betting the flop it is hard to know which he has. I call and hope for the best.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:35 PM

Bet $1 on the flop. If someone this passive calls, he's got a weak Ace, a draw, or the nuts. If he raises (again, his stats read passive) you gots to fold.

If he hit his weak Ace, he's not folding no matter WHAT comes on the turn or river. 81/7 means he basically has no idea what he is doing, so don't get balled up in FPS and waste bets on someone who just honestly not know any better.

Your check on the flop let KJ and QT (any 2 Broadway are calling hands for someone this loose) hit and you are beat.

The ONLY thing in your favor here is the small river bet. If he has a straight he's going all-in almost every time. I don't know when it happened, but at these stakes (where I play) all-in is the new slowplay. So you MAY be looking at a busted draw.

I'd say call the river, see what he tables, and learn. One way or the other if you look at his cards and think about that action you're going to gain valuable insight.