Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 01:54 AM

Default Re: Ask me about working in a psychiatric hospital

I'm really enjoying these stories.
Old 10-06-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"D" was a completely normal 16 year old girl when she started exhibiting signs of schizophrenia. Went from being a good-looking honors student with a black belt in karate and a bright future to being a meh-looking batshit crazy 30 year old with a black belt in karate and no future. She had a scar running up her stomach from when she stuck a knife in her belly to remove a nonexistant baby. She'd also swallowed Draino.

"P" was a totally normal guy who was changing his oil one day when he felt something bite him. His hand started swelling up and he went to the ER where his hand swelled to unholy proportions and became gangrenous. He entered a state of consiousness half-way between sleep and awake that he never left. It was later determined that the bite was caused by an exotic venemous Korean snake that probably hitchhiked in a crate that was delivered to one of his neighbors.

"R" was our 'memento guy' (if you saw the movie). He developed encephalitis as a complication of an STD (I think it was hepatitus) and couldn't form new memories. Most annoying guy on the planet. Since he couldn't remember anything he was always in this fresh state of confusion about where he was. Imagine being around a guy for months who is asking you 100 times a day "where am i? where's my mom? etc." Interestingly, he would always ask the same questions in the same order, so we started posting the answers to his questions on every vertical surface of the unit and just tell him to read it. He'd always start reading and then when he got to the end he'd say "No, no, listen you've made a mistake I don't have a memory problem." Once I took him to the bathroom to look at his reflection, since he had aged 20 years or so since he first lost the ability to form new memories. He turned white as a ghost and just held his hands to his face with a blank expression, but of course five minutes later he forgot all about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, none of this happened.

ldo levelled
Old 10-06-2007, 11:28 AM

Fascinating thread.
Old 10-06-2007, 01:20 PM

indeed...no reason to stop now. i did a thread something like this on another site once about my experience in teaching severe behavioral students...

people loved the stories, where as i felt like all i was doing was either venting, or storytelling..

people like this thread, keep it going!
Old 10-06-2007, 02:28 PM

"people like this thread, keep it going! "

yup, the stories are entertaining, interesting, and kind of humbling...nie thread...
Old 10-06-2007, 03:08 PM

ghostface: no if i was gonna level this thread would be in bbv4life or oot. i'll take your skepticism as a compliment though. Remember I saw thousands and thousands of patients over 4 years and I am distilling for you just the strangest or most interesting cases.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:13 PM

I'm fascinated by this thread as well:drinking on the job stories/people trying/killing themselves would interest me.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:51 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
Preacher: "Damnit I NEED PHUSSY"
Nurse: "Uh, I'm sorry we can't provide that here."

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome.

This was an amazing read--back in high school I was seriously looking into going into psychology, and even now I give an occasional thought toward nursing. You having what you did gives you points in my book.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:10 AM

I was also interested in the psychiatric field in high school but correctly decided it was too much to handle for me and went another route. Although this thread is fascinating it makes me happy with my choice.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:12 AM

What state did you work in and what were the criteria for involuntary admission?
(other qestions to follow)

Have you ever heard of or read The Journal of Polymorophous Perversity? (if not I highly recommend it- There is a book based on past magazine issues, I think the mag comes out quarterly, I can't recommend this enough for anyone considering entering the field)

What % of the people do you think lied about having a plan to kill themselves in order to get admitted because they were very stressed/confused/etc but did not want to or would not acutally kill themselves?

Have you ever read anything by Harry Stack Sullivan and/or Thomas Szasz and what did you think of their works?

Are you familiar with Dr. Daniel Fisher and what do you make of him, what are your thoughts on him and his works? (again highly recommended if you plan to enter this field)

Did you ever catch 2 patients having sex, if so what did you do? And if so did the dude approach you later and complain to you in a man to man (rather than biotch you out as a psychotic patient) fashion the way a buddy would if you walked in on him and ruined it for him?

What is the largest item a patent ever swallowed pre or post admission that you are aware of?

What was the most extreme case of self mutilization you were aware of either pre or post admission?

Do you think any of the fat nurses there looked for opportunities to flirt with and or cop a feel/examine the neather reagons of a male patient there, or somehow or other exploit their position to do so (assuming the male patient would cooperate)?

Did any nurses get busted for grabbing the benzo's prescribed for patients?