Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2007, 05:33 AM

Default Re: OT: Sngs on Ongame

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining that those sngs are unbeatable because the players are too bad (i.e. I don't suffer from the "moving up where they will respect my raises" syndrome). I just feel that Ongame's 3mins turbos may not be the most +EV for a good player.

I feel that I should state that I'm a winning (although certainly still leaky) player, with an average ROI of arround 13% at the 10s and 20s turbos over a 9k games sample size (6 months/several sites, as I've been bonus whoring). And I certainly know my ICM pretty well.

However, what I was trying to say was that since:
1) As donkeykong2 correctly stated it, sngs are a unique case where bad players can spew both their EV and yours (especially so on the bubble)
2) The players will call too wide for you to be able to push much more than your fair share, but not wide enough that you are really ahead with your marginal hands

-> At least part of the strategical advantage a good player should get at high blinds levels is negated.

Thus, in this situation your advantage will come from getting paid off when you do hit your hands, as you said.
But, IMO, the extremely fast blinds increase will lead to having fewer such occasions, and spending more time in the situation where your advantage is partly negated by overly loose players.

To illustrate my point, as a competent player, which situation would you rather find yourself in on the bubble:
A- Competing against 3 weak-tight players with equally matched stacks
B- Competing against 3 loose callers with bigger stacks

If you anwered A, you might not want to play on Ongame at all.

To conclude:
Yes, Ongame's 3min turbo sngs are definitely beatable, as are every low/mid-buyin sngs with less than 30% rake on all sites.
Yes, getting reads, adapting your push/call ranges, value betting them to death and generally tailoring your strategy are key in doing so.
No, I still don't think they are the most +EV for a competent player (even taking into account hourly rate instead of ROI).

And since OP's question was whether he should move to Ongame full time or not, I feel like this last point is key.