Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Big draw early ($6.50)

CO had not been very active thus far.

Button was a horrible calling station but I hadn't seen him raise yet and this was definitely the first time he had shoved. FWIW he got all his chips by calling huge bets from TPTK (AK) with a gutshot on the flop that turned into a gutter+flushdraw on the turn.

Overall the table was very loose passive preflop or I probably would have folded the A3s to begin with.

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t15/t30
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t1120
UTG+1: t1470
Hero: t1355
CO: t1940
Button: t2935
SB: t2160
BB: t2520

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG calls t30 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t45)</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t30 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t75)</font>, CO calls t30 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t105)</font>, Button calls t30 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t135)</font>, SB calls t15 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t165)</font>, BB checks.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t180, 6 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t100</font>, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to t200</font>, Button calls t200 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t480)</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls t100 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t680)</font>.

<font color="blue"> I considered going all in on this flop but I knew button would call me and I didn't want to get it in with small blinds and the worst hand. The fact that I thought the table was full of bad players who I could hopefully trap later was a factor here too. </font>

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t780, 3 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets t300</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises all-in t2705</font>, Hero... (I have $1155 left)
Old 10-06-2007, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Big draw early ($6.50)

I'm just shoving the flop when the action gets back to you, flipping with FE. As played I'm c/f'ing turn.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> I considered going all in on this flop but I knew button would call me and I didn't want to get it in with small blinds and the worst hand. The fact that I thought the table was full of bad players who I could hopefully trap later was a factor here too. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, "the worst hand" is pretty pessimistic [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Against any Ax you are 50:50 and against a set you are still 70:30. Given the action there is no set around and it looks like some guy got a weak A or a flushdraw, which doesn't bother you at all with Tp+nutflushdraw. This hand is a monster on the flop and after that action you can just shove it. Against any cards that contain 2 spades you are a 15.5-1 favorite.
The Turn is bad and you're not to close the action, so the fold is fine.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:35 PM

I didn't want to flip this early against a calling station with a lot of chips. I figured he was going to be giving that money back in the near future and I'm almost definitely going to be a dog if called. Plus I could still hit my hand and double up anyway without having to risk my tournament. I never expected him to shove the turn.

Does this make sense?