Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Vegetarians

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, olive oil can often be very bland.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're olive oil is bland, it's probaly because it's not real olive oil.

Also see: slippery business.
Old 10-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Sugar carmalizes and protein is broken into different amino chains. I really don't feel like doing precise research on this.

Toxins: Obviously, this doesn't pertain to raw-foodists, but a classic example is chicken. Try eating one raw.

I know you could eat a potato raw, or a bell pepper raw. I know that some chemicals are evaporated or changed because I am highly allergic to both of these items when I eat them raw, but I have no reaction to them when they are cooked.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:52 PM

Re: chicken being raw. The chance of salmonella is so small that some people who show dogs and some vets approve feeding dogs raw chicken. (When raw, they can handle the bones, which are softer that way too, so the worries about choking on the bones are eliminated too.)
Old 10-06-2007, 08:13 PM

This is what I love about these forums. I learn how ignorant I am every day. I really thought that eating raw chicken would outright kill a person.

But a dog? What did they eat before human intervention? They probably didn't cook.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:23 PM

I grew up eating meat so sometimes there is comfort in familiarity. And many vegetarians don't bother finding other things to eat so they still buy the fake sandwich meat ect. I do sometimes, most of it is fortified with extra nutrients as well.

As to the fake chicken I was talking about, it is really just like meat, doesn't taste like soy at all. I don't even think there is soy in it. I can't stand most of that soy crap either. try it I think you will be suprised.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: chicken being raw. The chance of salmonella is so small that some people who show dogs and some vets approve feeding dogs raw chicken. (When raw, they can handle the bones, which are softer that way too, so the worries about choking on the bones are eliminated too.)

[/ QUOTE ]

i got salmonella from bad chicken, and it was one of the worst experiences of my life
Old 10-08-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: chicken being raw. The chance of salmonella is so small that some people who show dogs and some vets approve feeding dogs raw chicken.

[/ QUOTE ]
I still wouldn't recommend it. Chicken processing plants (while much improved over the last 10 years) are still nasty-ass places. The tanks they use to "wash" the chickens can still be havens for E. coli and salmonella if not sanitized properly and regularly throughout the day.

Also, does anyone remember the days (or still believe) that pork had to be cooked to near shoe-leather consistency in order for it to be "safe"? I swear, my wife still won't eat pork if it is the least bit pink. Now, it's recommended that it be "slightly pink", and they specifically tell you not to overcook pork. Weird.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:46 PM

I'm still uncomfortable with the idea of pink pork. Back when I used to live in Hawaii, every so often you'd hear about a Filipino dying of trichinosis, and it supposedly was a spectacularly uncomfortable way to go.

On the chicken thing, I'm not about to eat raw chicken myself, and wouldn't lick my fingers after handling it, so I'm pretty okay with giving it to dogs. Did you hear about the stuff China is putting in our drugs, food, and toothpaste these days? At least chicken has something natural about it. It has always felt kind of weird giving dogs what is basically a grain diet.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM

Dogs in the wild are carnivores. I don't understand why domesticated dogs get treated different.

I heard that China is making food out of cardboard. I also heard that this where they get jail food. There are some things you have to buy in America.

The toothpaste has lead in it right?

Remember how Sean Jean had "fake" fur clothing, and come to find out, that the Chinese were making it out of real fur anyways? Apparently, this was straightened out, but I still don't like the thought of paying $100 for a shirt made in China as opposed to Italy.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still uncomfortable with the idea of pink pork.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree it's not an easy thing to overcome. A lot of the trichinosis thing has to do with what the pig eats and it's environment. The American pork industry has come along way in essentially eliminating this threat in full muscle cuts of pork. Ground pork and sausage products are a whole other story.

What finally convinced me was the simple act of cooking a pork roast to 150-155, and letting it set for 10 minutes to reach 160. There is absolutely no comparison to this, and cooking the roast to 170 like they used to recommend. The difference in texture and taste is quite dramatic.